Responsible for analysing and reconciling detailed general ledger accounts as assigned. Keeps records and accounts accurate and current. Researches and resolves discrepancies and accounting errors. Completes related reports, summaries, and records. Creates monthly expense reports. Performs related clerical duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
1. Assumes responsibility for the accurate and timely completion of assigned accounting functions.
a. Reviews source documents and records daily transactions. Balances and posts daily write-ups and journals.
b. Computes figures and prepares recurring account statements.
c. Posts a number of transactions to the appropriate general ledger account.
d. Reconciles general ledger accounts as assigned.
e. Performs miscellaneous filing/sorting of checks, journals, daily write-ups, etc.
f. Completes required records and reports and maintains files. Creates expense reports as assigned.
g. Completes various accounting functions in accordance with established policies and procedures, including:
• Prepare monthly financial reports
• Bank reconciliations
• Ensuring all invoices for the period have been authorised and captured in creditor module
• Creditors reconciliation’s
• Debtors reconciliations, Invoicing, receipting
• Reconciling general ledger to debtors ledger, Balance sheet and income statement, loan balances, company accounts
• Preparing trial balances from source documents
• Preparing balance sheets and income statements
• Preparing notes to the reports
• Preparing monthly group consolidation
• Filing copies of final monthly reports
• Maintaining back ups of accounting package data
• Participate in annual audit
• Statutory and municipal returns
• Ensure companies are registered
• Complete and submit all statutory and municipal returns
2. Assumes responsibility for effectively researching, tracking, and resolving accounting problems and discrepancies.
3. Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication and coordination with area personnel and with management.
a. Maintains regular contact with other departments to obtain information and/or to correct transactions.
b. Assists accounting personnel as needed.
c. Keeps management informed of area activities and of any significant problems. Reports the status of all account reconciliations to the Controller.
d. Attends and participates in meetings as required.
4. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
a. Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
b. Completes special projects as assigned.
1. Accounting documents, records, and reports are accurate, current, and timely.
2. Accounting errors or discrepancies are promptly discovered and resolved (or referred).
3. Good communication and coordination exists with Company personnel. Assistance and support are provided as needed.
4. Management is appropriately informed of area activities.
5. Accounting functions are completed in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures.
EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION: Matric or accounting diploma or part B Comm or similar degree
Additional accounting or bookkeeping coursework preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE : Knowledge of basic accounting concepts and procedures including account reconciliation.
Knowledge of related computer applications.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: One to two years of previous accounting experience preferred.
SKILLS/ABILITIES: Well organized and detail oriented.
Good math skills.
Good attention to detail and accuracy.
Cooperative and willing to assist others.
Able to use PC, calculator, and other basic business machines.