Sustainability Institute: Assistant Youth Coordinator
At the Sustainability Institute, we engage in transformative learning towards just and generative futures. Founded in 1999, the Institute is an international living and learning centre learning, exploring and applying ways of being that are restorative. Our focus on children is centred within the Lynedoch Children’s House, SPARK Lynedoch Primary School and Lynedoch Youth programmes.
Our partnership with the School of Public Leadership at the University of Stellenbosch has built up the renowned Masters and PhD programmes in Sustainable Development, and in 2018 we proudly celebrated the launch of the Diploma in Sustainable Development undergraduate degree programme.
The Institute is recognised as a leading expert institution in navigating the transition towards social justice and change in complex futures in Africa, and forms an institutional base for some of the top academics in the field. Our research and practice maintain a strong focus on sustainable African futures, through our student, faculty and consulting research. Our focus on transformative learning from birth and social innovation is embedded through our research, teaching and practice.
The Sustainability Institute seeks to appoint Assistant Youth Coordinator to be based in Stellenbosch, Western Cape.
The job purpose of the Assistant Youth Coordinator, accountable to the Youth Coordinator, will be responsible to support, facilitate and provide administrative support to the Youth Coordinator where necessary.
Salary Level: R8 000 – R8 500
Accountable To: Ashleigh Seals
OBJECTIVE, ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
Are you passionate about developing youth from the Lynedoch community or with supporting youth to become change agents in their community by unlocking their potential in a practical way? This role might be for you.
Roles and responsibilities
- To run the program, with the support from the Programme Coordinator.
- Be the key contact person for youth’s meals – liaising with the kitchen.
- Be the key contact person for youth’s transport – liaising with the driver.
- Ensure attendance register is completed daily
- Ensure the daily program is implemented.
- Facilitate groups once or twice a week.
- Keep the youth space clean and valuable equipment locked away.
- Work hours are from 14:00 – 17:00
Shared responsibilities with programme coordinator:
- Refer children to different organisations that might be able to provide additional support where needed
- Find opportunities for youth after completing school/youth that does not fit mainstream education
- Explore and re-evaluate structures implemented with the youth on a regular basis
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- A post-grade 12 qualification, ideally in Social Work, Education or related field
- Experience in working with youth
- Possess the necessary communication skills
- Hard working and passionate to help and make a difference
- Valid Driver’s license is advantageous
KEY ATTRIBUTES & COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, coordinating and personal interface skills
- Proven job diligence, dedication and attention to detail
- Comfort and experience interfacing with various levels of staff and management, while working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to think logically
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of own tasks, and manage systems to function smoothly.
If you are Interested in the above position, please forward your CV to the following e-mail: Applications@sustainabilityinstitute.net