The Faircape Group operates 6 high end retirement/lifestyle villages in the Western Cape. Locations of these estates are in Noordhoek, Kirstenhof, Tokai, Somerset West and Onrus.
We are looking for a Chef to take charge of a shift in the kitchen at Tokai Estate.
This high end facility is located near the Blue Route Mall and in close proximity to all major transport routes.
If you are an energetic chef with with a creative flair and want to work for a well established company, this is the ideal role for you!
Reporting to the Group Chef and taking full control of the kitchen (preparation, safety and hygiene, staff management), the job duties include, but is not limited to the following:
- Preparing, cooking and presenting dishes
- Oversee that the Kitchen staff are following correct instructions and performing daily duties
- Prepare ingredients to use in cooking (chopping and peeling vegetables, cutting meat etc.)
- Check food while cooking to ensure cooking temperature guidelines are followed
- Ensure staff are following procedures for food and other items to be stored properly at appropriate temperatures
- Ensuring that dishes are produced to the required standards of quality and attractiveness before serving.
- Assisting in the preparation and cooking of food for special functions and “special days” as and when required.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes
- Cook on several different orders simultaneously.
- Measure ingredients required for specific food items being prepared.
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Read food order slips or receive verbal instructions as to food required by waiter, and prepare and cook food according to instructions.
- Bake breads, cakes, muffins and scones when required
- Verify that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Prepare frozen meals
- Prepare meals from a recipe and manage quantities in terms of recipies
- Check quality of ingredients
- Monitoring portion and waste control
Hygiene and Safety
- Ensuring you and your team have high standards of food hygiene and follow the rules of health and safety
- Ensure GMP (good management practices) guidelines followed
- Ensure that the food prep area and kitchen are cleaned and sanitized at the end of shifts
- Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Ensure that the cleaning of all surfaces, floors, walls and drains are done daily
- Ensure the coffee shop has muffins and scones available daily by 8:00am
- Managing and training any cooks, food service assistants or cleaners
- Ensure staff are utilizing their time productively
Stock management, record keeping and administration
- Rotate stock items as per established procedures
- Receiving deliveries accurately, following company procedures
- Monitor stock and reporting when there are shortages
- Restock kitchen for subsequent shifts
- Ensure all records of the kitchen are completed– cooking temperatures, holding logs, fridges and freezer temperature
- Check that daily charges have been done by the waiters, if not, do daily charge
- Chef’s diploma / qualification from a registered tertiary education provider
- At least 2 years work experience in similar environment
- Proven leadership skills – proven experience in management of staff in a kitchen
- Strong knowledge of proper food handling procedures
- Strong knowledge of GMP practices
- Able to work as part of a team in a busy kitchen atmosphere
- Knowledge of various cooking procedures and methods
- Ability to follow all sanitation procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong administration skills
- Excellent physical condition and stamina
Working hours: You will be required to work 16.25 shifts per month, according to the roster, from 07h00 to 19h00, Monday to Sunday. Need to be flexible to accommodate the standby procedure of the company
Salary from R 18,000 Cost to Company per month.
Should you not receive a response within 2 weeks of applying, please consider your application unsuccessful.