The ISS is seeking a Communication Officer with skills and experience in writing and editing, social media and digital communication. The Communication Officer will work with ISS staff to ensure the timeous release of high-quality products and messages in line with the ISS communication strategy.
The position requires journalistic writing skills, an eye for design and attention to detail, an interest in current affairs, problem-solving skills and the ability to work quickly and to deadline. The successful candidate will help develop and improve communication at the ISS, and track new innovations in communication. The Communication Officer will report to the head of Communication.
Overview of duties
- Writing, editing and proofreading for print and digital communication
- Supporting the publications production process
- Assisting with website and social media processes
- Supporting visual communication and multimedia production
- Assist with training ISS staff on all aspects of communication
- Planning and coordinating communication strategies with ISS staff
- Ensuring that ISS communication is contemporary, visible and relevant
Overview of requirements
- 3 year tertiary qualification in communication/journalism/marketing or a field relevant to the work of the ISS
- 5 years’ experience in writing/editing/digital media or a related environment
- Excellent English verbal and writing skills (proficiency in French will be an advantage)
- Experience in uploading and formatting website content using a CMS
- Good understanding of emerging social media and digital trends
- Experience or interest in photography, videography and graphic design
- Software knowledge requirements: Microsoft Office, basic experience in Adobe digital media and publications-based software
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and to deadline
- Available to travel to the regional offices as required
- A media background and news writing experience will be an advantage
- Experience in the human security field will be an advantage
The contract will be for two years, and may be renewed subject to programme requirements, funding and satisfactory performance. A competitive salary is offered.
Email your application to Rekha Valabh at email@example.com. Applicants must provide a cover letter and detailed CV, including at least three contactable referees. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 24 January 2021
The ISS is committed to achieving employment equity in the workplace. Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.