CTSC: Communications Coordinator
Cape Town Science Centre
With more than 250 interactive science exhibits and mind-boggling puzzles, the Cape Town Science Centre is a world of discovery under one roof. CTSC works across a range of educational and edutainment projects and events, virtually, at the centre, and across Africa They are looking for an organised and innovative Communications Coordinator to produce and coordinate messaging for online (social media), web, print, and other marketing material. Responsibilities are varied as the Centre has different target markets from ‘party moms’ to school teachers, science lovers and funders. This position may also include a PR and media relations role, and other marketing and advertising related duties.
CTSC seeks to appoint Communications Coordinator to be based in Observatory / could be flexible work from home.
Reporting to: Working virtually with Programmes and Marketing Consultant, reporting directly to the Director and Deputy Director of the CTSC
Hours of work: 8am – 5pm Mon – Friday (flexible)
Nature of contract: Permanent
Salary range: Market related CTC Package
Benefits: Medical aid and Pension optional to be included in CTC package, 15 days a year leave with an additional day accrued per year of service (capped at 21 days)
Communications and Marketing Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of and execution of the overall communication strategy of the CTSC
- Manage media relations – from maintaining the media list, to assisting with the writing of press releases and distribution and follow-up thereof.
- Serving as a point of contact for media inquiries.
- Design and distribute regular e-mail newsletters to the CTSC mailing lists
Social media & Website:
- Manage social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram and YouTube), including campaign ideation and execution, including composing and posting online content
- Analyse company’s social media and online presence and report this to Management of CTSC
- Maintain website design and operation, including composing and posting website content
Marketing and PR:
- Work closely with the various departments in the CTSC to market the programmes of the CTSC
- Design marketing and promotional materials
- Ensure all promotional materials are aligned with company’s brand identity.
- Edit all promotional materials prior to distribution.
- Organize and oversee promotional events.
- Research ways to reach a wider consumer base, either online or in print.
- Work in close collaboration with Events and Marketing Coordinator and delegate assignments to the graphic designer and other specialists when required.
- Manage mailing lists in accordance with the CTSC’s POPIA policies
- Maintain the archive of CTSC publicity photographs and all print and online promotional materials.
- Keep an updated calendar of events for the CTSC’s, which are open to the public
- Be prepared to work outside of general duties should the CTSC require from time to time.
The ideal applicant will have the following competencies:
Work experience and industry exposure:
- A tertiary qualification is essential, specialisation in a related field such as marketing or communications is a distinct advantage
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in communications/PR/Marketing environment.
- Excellent grasp of and active on social media
- Project management experience
Strong Communication skills:
- Strong written and oral communication skills with demonstrated copywriting and copy-editing skills.
- Excellent command of English is essential with the ability to drive organisational communication and correspondence
- Ability to communicate well with a wide variety of audiences and address and resolve any problems that may arise with promotional content or distribution of materials.
- Able to effectively respond to queries and deal with complaints
Excellent Computer Skills:
- Strong computer literacy skills: Canva, MailChimp, WordPress
- Good design experience with proficiency in using graphic design software packages is an advantage.
- Tech savvy and knowledge of CRM tools, Google AdWords, and online analytics (advantageous)
Excellent Administration Skills:
- An organised and meticulous individual who is able to follow policies and procedures
- Ability to follow instructions and work independently, as well as the ability to work in a team
- Highly organised and efficient individual who can multitask and work well under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
- An accountable, responsible and reliable individual who takes pride in their work
- Comfortable to work outside of comfort zones.
- Creative thinker who is resourceful and innovative
- Flexible and adaptable individual who enjoys managing challenging situations
Email Loren for an application form: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks of submitting your application, kindly consider your application to have been unsuccessful
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – NGO Pulse Portal
For more about The Cape Town Science Centre, refer to https://www.ctsc.org.za/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies