ICLEI: Communications Officer
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
(24-month fixed term contract position based in Cape Town, with the potential of renewal)
REF – Communications Officer
ICLEI is a global network of over 2 000 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its network cities and their communities.
ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s network cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org) and is also home to ICLEI’s Global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC), a center of excellence in the field of urban biodiversity and nature-based solutions for urban development (www.cbc.iclei.org).
Our work is conducted by a dynamic and passionate team of well qualified and highly skilled professionals that work with cities to ensure a more sustainable future. As an office that deeply cares for the cities it works with, the team adheres to a strong set of values. There is a culture and ethos of openness and sharing, where staff are always willing to support each other where they can. There is diversity of skills and experiences in our team of well over 50 staff that spans from those that have worked internationally at diplomatic and at technical levels, carrying Masters and Doctorate degrees, to those that are experienced practitioners in the fields of urban planning, economics, sustainability, social and environmental science and engineering. Given the number of languages spoken across the African continent and globally, ICLEI Africa has many bilingual and multilingual staff, and also supports staff development in adding more languages to their repertoire.
ICLEI Africa has the pleasure to invite suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position above to join our team of dynamic urban sustainability professionals.
We are looking for a creative, multi-talented Communications Officer, who is passionate about making a positive difference towards a more sustainable world! He/she needs to be a conscientious individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who can adapt quickly, work well under pressure with multiple stakeholders at different levels and think on his/her feet. The Communications Officer should ideally have experience in communicating concepts related to sustainability to diverse stakeholders, and in particular, politicians and technical officials, or be passionate about it.
The job will include the following and the successful candidate should have proven expertise/skills in these areas:
- Project management: Ability to motivate and coordinate a diverse team to deliver on high quality deliverables on time
- Production of publications from brief to print, including managing designers and overseeing the creative process
- Brand management: Maintaining a professional and positive brand image, ensuring guidelines are adhered to and high standards are upheld
- Website content management: Writing and editing content, and updating websites
- Social media: Developing and implementing successful Twitter and Facebook campaigns
- Collating content (articles, reports, photos and video) from various stakeholders and managing approvals, timelines and deadlines
- Designing digital mailers (e.g. Mailchimp)
The job may also include these tasks and expertise/skills in these areas is preferable:
- Writing: Identifying story angles, interviewing, researching, distilling key messages and writing up content for articles and media releases; writing video scripts
- Editing and proofreading
- Event and webinar/online meeting planning and organisation
- Videography and editing: Briefing, writing scripts and producing both short campaign clips and longer, informative videos, uploading to Youtube
- Website conceptualisation and the ability to work with a developer to produce a visually appealing and user-friendly, interactive website suited to the target audience
The following would also be advantageous:
- Proficiency in another language spoken in Africa, especially French
- Experience in working with/within government
- Knowledge of the African and global geo-political context
- Relevant post-graduate degree or equivalent qualification
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience related to the above listed areas
- Excellent English written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Highly computer literate and tech savvy
- Excellent eye for design
- Good people skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams across the world, in a highly dynamic, fast-paced and creative environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently, effectively and accurately
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff, as well as manage consultants
- Ability to be agile and flexible about work responsibilities, prioritise and thrive under pressure
- Ability to navigate complex organisational and project structures
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style
All applicants for the above full-time, Cape Town-based positions must be South African residents, or possess permanent residency status or valid work/critical skills permit which enables candidates to be employed on a full-time basis in South Africa.
They should also have a fully functional, dedicated workspace at home for times when they may be required to work remotely (a company laptop will be provided).
Please forward all of the following:
- comprehensive CV
- covering/motivating letter
- examples of publications where you have managed the production process
- copy of identity document, or in the case of non-South African applicants, a passport or equivalent, including valid work permit
- available starting date
- current and expected salary, and
- three contactable references
to email@example.com by 5pm (SAST) on Tuesday 6 April 2021.
Please include the correct reference (REF) in your email subject line and covering letter, to clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
No late or incomplete applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 60 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.
ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.
ICLEI Africa is open to applications for internships and volunteering in fields relevant to sustainability on an ongoing basis. Please email your CV with a covering letter (only if in possession of a valid work permit in the case on non-South African applicants) at any time to the same email address as indicated above at any time.