Direct Reporting Line:
Head of School (School of Finance and Accounting)
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa, and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE’s Varsity College has a vacancy for a Deputy Head of School in the School Of Finance And Accounting . This position can be based at the National Office in Durban or in Ruimsig, Roodepoort.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Deputy Head of School is required to support and assist the Head of School in providing strong academic and strategic leadership and overall management across all areas of activity in the School; fusing excellent education and professional practice to ensure a high performing academic culture and community in accordance with the strategic plan of the Brand, Institution and the strategic aspirations for the School.
- It is recognised that these roles (Head of School and Deputy Head of School) intersect and are integrally connected.
- Deputise for the Head of School as appropriate.
Academic Leadership & Management
- Developing and implementing the strategic plan for the School Of Finance And Accounting in conjunction with the long-term vision of the Independent Institute of Education (IIE) Varsity College as a quality higher education provider.
- Providing academic leadership for the undergraduate, post-graduate and continuing professional development (CPD) of the School Of Finance And Accounting.
- Reviewing and implementing changes to the existing programmes and/or curricula.
- Developing new programmes in collaboration with The Central Academic Team Heads of Programme for accreditation and curriculum material development in the cognate area.
- Managing and leading the interface with Independent Institute of Education (IIE) in the subject discipline.
- Developing and driving the implementation of relevant teaching and learning initiatives (i.e. blended learning) in the cognate area based on current industry and research trends.
- Developing a teaching model to provide optimal delivery of curriculum, teaching, learning and assessment.
- Planning resource allocation for all aspects of running a successful school.
- Supporting and developing the national and campus academic teams in the cognate area e.g. Smart boards, Learning Management Systems (LMS) training and other relevant technology-based applications.
- Providing specialist knowledge and supporting to the national marketing team for the development of a marketing strategy for the School Of Finance And Accounting.
- Actively teaching to serve as an exemplar in best teaching practice including scholarly activities such as setting and marking of assessments.
- Learning analytics: Reporting on students’ academic results: throughput rates, progression rates, graduation and completion rates on a national basis and ensure appropriate interventions are implemented where necessary.
IIE Head of Programme
- Management of academic development for select modules within the School, in consultation and collaboration with the IIE Operations teams.
- Reviewing, developing and implementing the curriculum and syllabus for the selected programmes or modules.
- Acting as the interface between the IIE Head of Faculty and the Varsity College National Programme Operations Manager (POM) in the absence of the Head of School.
- Identifying and briefing module developers.
- Identifying external moderators.
- Identifying internal reviewers for all modules within the School Of Finance And Accounting.
- Performing a high level review of academic development for modules within the School.
- Participating in key IIE governance structures and committees. (PCC, Faculty Boards, Academic Planning & Development Committee, Examinations Committee, Brands Results, Postgraduate & Research Committee) where appropriate.
Industry and Professional Management
- Brand Ambassador to external stakeholders in the profession and partnership building.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with industry in the profession which includes industry placements of students, sponsorships and professional expertise.
- Academic positioning of Varsity College professional training and development for the world of work.
- Facilitation of, and involvement in professional and scholarly activities e.g. Society of Law Teachers, Conference Papers and Higher Degree Studies.
- Serving as the key liaison with academic partners in the cognate area.
- Representing the Independent Institute of Education (IIE) and Varsity College on certain external partner faculty boards, committees and professional bodies.
- Facilitating compliance with provider’s policies, regulations and procedures.
- Thought leadership – written and published opinion pieces in media to build academic credibility in the wider SA society/community.
- Working with the campus Programme Managers and supporting the development of that role at each campus.
- Developing the School’s academic culture and community in collaboration with the school’s Programme Managers at a campus level.
- Implementing a formal communication structure within the School, at a campus level through the Programme Manager.
- Supporting the campuses in the recruitment, selection, approval and development of the teaching team in the cognate area.
- Communicating with the campuses on new developments, recommendations and trends and facilitate troubleshooting.
- Supporting the campus in the operation of a bursary programme sponsored by industry where possible.
- Leadership and management skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy including ability to work on online systems.
- Professional communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data.
- Attention to quality and detail.
- Advanced teaching and learning expertise evidenced by a Teaching Portfolio.
Minimum Qualification Required:
- Masters or equivalent in the relevant School. For internal candidates with commensurate institutional knowledge/practical experience, studying towards a Masters will also be considered.
- Must be a qualified Chartered Accountant (SA).
- PhD/Doctorate in Commerce or a related field.
- For internal candidates with commensurate institutional knowledge/practical experience, those who have submitted their Master’s dissertation will also be considered.
Minimum work experience required:
- Minimum of 5 years Teaching and Learning experience in a teaching environment, at least 3 years must be on a SAICA accredited postgraduate programme.
- Lecturing and academic development experience on a SAICA accredited postgraduate programme is essential. Academic leadership of such a programme would be an advantage.
- Professional Industry experience would be an added advantage.
- Travel and work outside of normal hours will be required for which, given the level of seniority of the post, no overtime payment will be made
- The Deputy Head of School is appointed on academic conditions of service which includes research leave and work from home privileges.
- Kindly note that this position can be based at either our Ruimsig National Office or Durban North National Office.
- EE/AA Position
CLOSING DATE: 09 APRIL 2021
Any applications submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Should you encounter difficulty applying for this vacancy, you can email your CV (ONLY) directly to: email@example.com