JCH: Principal – Early Childhood Development Centre
Johannesburg Children’s Home
The Johannesburg Children’s Home (JCH) is one of the oldest charitable institutions in Gauteng, which has provided a ‘home away from home’ and cared for thousands of children over the past 129 years.
This exciting role within the newly developed Early Childhood Development Centre (ECD) at the Johannesburg Children’s Home (JCH) is aimed at providing quality pre-school education to children ensuring ongoing sustainability and continued development of the home.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the ECD Principal will be responsible for providing instructional leadership, managing and leading staff and parents and overseeing the facility. Responsible for providing the overall well-being of the ECD, its children and staff. Ensure the holistic support and development, according to the Centre’s educational and performance goals, developing and implementing proficient and effective educational programmes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the recruitment, development and training of staff
- Develop a master schedule for planning and oversee the implementation of the curriculum
- Evaluation of instructional practices of ECD Educators
- Motivate and provide a positive work environment
- Communicate with the broader community to establish networks and fundraising opportunities
- Provide activities to involve the children in all aspects of Early Childhood Education.
- Monitor attendance.
- Liaise with JCH Head of Social Work for psycho-social support for children or families
- Teach a class
- Communicate the vision of the school to all stakeholders.
- Be an active listener.
- Maintain professional cooperative relationships.
- Provide opportunities for three way communication between school, parents and the community
- Comply with reporting requirements
Manage the ECD Centre according to specifications including cost management.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Matric (Grade 12)
- NQF Level 5 (ECD)
- Diploma NQF Level 6 (ECD) or B-Ed –highly advantageous
- 4 years as an early childhood development practitioner
- Previous experience in a management role essential
- Strong administration ability and attention to detail
- Ability to organise and plan work independently
- Fully computer literate particularly with Excel and on-line class preparation
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective decision making skills
- Effective verbal and written communication ability.
- Report writing skills in English
- Project planning and Budget preparation
- Management and leadership skills
- Parent management skills
- Monitoring and Evaluation
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate must display the following
- Competence, commitment, reliability, self-motivation, honesty, patience and friendliness.
- Flexibility – able to adapt to changing circumstances where required.
- Ability to engage and communicate at all levels of society to raise awareness about the project
- Ability to be proactive
Please submit your CV and copy of your ECD qualification in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you not hear from us within two weeks please consider your application to be unsuccessful.