Afrika Tikkun: ECD Assistant
Afrika Tikkun Braamfontein
Afrika Tikkun is an international nonprofit organisation that provides education, health and social services to children, youth and their families through centres of excellence in South African Townships. Its aim is to empower communities to develop new generations of productive citizens.
Afrika Tikkun seeks to appoint ECD Assistant to be based in Johannesburg.
Reporting to: ECD Principal
The purpose of the job is to guide and encourage the all-round growth and development of Children according to the Centre’s educational goals and according to each learner’s needs. To provide quality care that meets the needs of children and their families
Programme Development and Implementation:
- Provide a developing through play environment for children.
- Must be knowledgeable about child development and appropriate practice.
- Need to improve own knowledge of child development and early childhood.
- Plan and implement learning experiences and an environment which meets the needs and interests of children in all developmental areas.
- Prepare and set out all the educational activities and materials needed for the Theme Planner the day before.
- Observe and Assess children throughout the day and keep records thereof as per the Centre’s “Assessment Policy”, complete a progress report every quarter for parents.
- Organise resources for children’s program.
- Promote integration of “special needs” children and be aware of the benefits involved.
- Provide a safe, loving environment by maintaining the policies of the Centre.
- Attend weekly staff and planning meetings.
- Assist in arrangement of trips and outings of educational value for the children on a regular basis with parents’ permission
- .Accept, welcome and guide ECD students.
- Be accountable and keep records of all monies received by you.
- Keep an updated and systematic filing system of all required records by the Centre.
- Keep all registers and records up to date for your group of children according to the requirements of the Centre’s Policies and the Principal.
- Establish positive relationships with children, parents and other staff.
- Co-operate with colleagues in order to maintain a good teaching standard.
- Involve parents in the education of their children.
- Maintain confidentiality over Centre information and family information.
- Guide children’s behaviour appropriately and for maintaining a supportive social environment in the centre.
- Report to the principal when a learner is absent from the centre for more than one day.
- Communicate to the principal if any unusual events occur with the children in your class.
- Have written proof of any issues regarding children, parents or colleagues to the Principal. In the case where you have issues with the principal forward a written report to the project leader.
- Work effectively and professionally as a team member.
- Act as a resource and support to parents,
- Promote a positive image to the public.
- Act as a resource to the ECD Department.
- Relieve other educators when need be.
- Maintaining standards of cleanliness in the playroom and toilet as per the “Hygiene Policy” of the Centre.
- Perform all other duties specified by the centre e.g. playground duty etc.
- Collect and organise waste material for your classroom.
- Make ECD learning resources for your classroom.
- Perform or assist with one or more other non-teaching administrative duties as being the:
- Secretary to staff meetings
- Stationary controller
- Library books controller
- Required to be present at all outings and excursions for children.
- Required to attend all functions, talks, lectures, workshops and meetings given by ECD ORGANISATIONS and parent bodies.
- Required to participate in all functions hosted by the parent management committee outside normal office hours
- Matric (Grade 12)
- Teaching tertiary qualification – minimum NQF level 4
- Minimum 2 years’ experience
- Good written and verbal communication
- Ability to work under pressure,
- Multi task
- Prioritise workload
- Meet deadlines
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently
- Fluent in at least two languages
Behavioural Competencies & Personal Attributes:
- Passion for community work and love of people
- Display integrity
- Assertive and diplomatic
- Ability to function in a challenging multi-faceted NGO environment
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are requested to email their CV Cebisile Mahlangu at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – NGO Pulse Portal
For more about MaAfrika Tikkun, refer to www.afrikatikkun.org