VVOB South Africa:Education Advisor: Early grade reading Isizu
VVOB South Africa
VVOB South Africa, in close partnership with the Department of Basic Education, supports and strengthens teachers and school leaders to create environments where all learners can develop their full potential. We operate in a local and international network of education departments, universities, unions, expert organisations and donors.
VVOB is currently looking for an education advisor passionate about equity in education with a focus on Early Grade Reading and with the right attitude and skills to strengthen the capacity of our local partners and target groups (teachers and school leaders).This position is based at the VVOB office in Durban. The jobholder will report directly to the VVOB Country Programme Manager in Pretoria. The role involves travel within South Africa, particularly within Kwazulu Natal, as well as infrequent international travel.
The functions of the education advisor are:
- offer technical advice, guidance and support to internal VVOB colleagues to achieve programme results and to partners in order to realize educational change processes supported by the programme with a special focus, interest and experience in Early Grade Reading.
- contribute to the identification, formulation, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in order to realize educational change processes supported by the project.
- take up a variety of roles in the capacity development process of the partners according to the needs of the partner and particular situations and phases of the programme; this includes build and maintain effective relationships with all people involved in the interventions, ie senior government officials, district education officials and VVOB team members; help all partners to adapt the intervention as implementation lessons are learnt, while keeping an eye on the results to be achieved.
- keep abreast with policy trends, new developments and latest research and thinking in education and international
- work closely together with the programme team and all other departments in the South Africa offices, specifically the Strategic Education Advisors and Global Strategic Educations Advisors at our head office in Belgium.
- Identifying professional development needs of the target groups and develop and initiate, in cooperation with the strategic and operational partners, sustainable capacity development processes and trajectories to address these needs;
- Implementation of capacity development of education officials on early grade reading and professional development approaches.
- Contribute to professional development materials for teachers and school leaders on early grade reading, for use in online and blended training and for use in professional learning communities (PLCs).
- Implementation, follow-up and monitoring of professional development on early grade reading for teachers and school leaders, such as face-to-face and virtual training and workshop sessions, group coaching and mentoring, support to PLCs.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and support to capacity development processes and trajectories; more specifically in the area of early grade reading;
- Being actively involved in planning, budgeting, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the programme;
- Being actively engaged in expanding VVOB’s funding base (liaising with potential donors, writing proposals);
- Developing communication materials related to (the results of) VVOB’s work like stories, videos and articles, for internal and external communication purposes;
- Understanding the early grade reading and education sector in South Africa, including key partners, and making sure that the programme is coordinated with other actors and interventions related to early grade reading.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Education: A relevant Master’s degree, or equivalent through experience.
- Language: Fluency in English and Isizulu
- At least seven years of relevant work experience;
- At least three years of experience with capacity building of organisations, teams and persons, preferably in strengthening government systems and structures;
- At least two years of experience in a position working closely with external stakeholders, preferably with multiple partners;
- continuous improvement
- organisational skills
- communication skills (listening, speaking and writing in English and isiZulu)
- 360-degree empathy
- problem analysis and judgment
- organisational skills
- Knowledge and Skills
- expert in instruction of early grade reading in home language; isiZulu
- good knowledge of the education sector and early grade reading initiatives of the Department of Basic Education and its stakeholders
- Strong time and project management skills (planning, budgeting, report writing)
- Flexible with a proven ability to multitask and adjust to changing circumstances
- Experience with online moderation of training
- Experience with working with governments in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience with working in the Southern African region, preferably in South Africa;
- Experience with designing and implementing monitoring systems.
- Experience with developing and implementing online learning programmes
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use subject line: EGR ADVISOR APPLICATION.
Questions can also be sent to the above email address.
Shortlisted candidates will take a written test if applicable, go through an interview process, and will have reference checks before a final offer.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – NGO Pulse Portal
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies
For more about VVOB Education for Development refer to https://southafrica.vvob.org