10 June 2021
Kruger National Park
A Challenging vacancy currently exists for an Environmental Manager at Kruger National Park (KNP) based at Skukuza. The position requires specialist knowledge, the appropriate experience of governance, environmental ethics, legislation, risk management and technical aspects of environmental management systems.
Paterson Grading: D4
NB. The position will be filled in line with the Employment Equity Targets for KNP.
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should forward their applications (letter) accompanied by detailed CVs as well as recently certified copies of all qualifications to the following address:
Human Capital Management
Att: Mr Simon Marutha
Private Bag X402
Tel: (013) 735 4175
Applications that have not been responded to within 14 days should be regarded as unsuccessful.
SANParks reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Minimum Qualification and Experience
- Masters or a post-graduate degree in Environmental Management or related disciplines such as Conservation/Environmental Science/Environmental Health/SHEQ;
- Registration with the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA South Africa);
- Ten (10) years experience in the Environmental Management Field, with specific experience in water and waste management, renewable energy, green building design and carbon auditing assessments. Preference would be for candidates with demonstrable experience in all four of these areas but as a minimum requirement in two of the four fields.
- Eight (8) years experience in project management.
- Designated Environmental Management Inspector (EMI) in terms of NEMA and NEM:PAA,
- ISO 14001 accreditation,
- Exposure to working in protected areas,
- A genuine interest in and understanding of environmental issues, relevant legislation and international best practice within a Protected Area;
- Good leadership, organization and time management;
- Proven experience with compliance; monitoring, auditing and reporting, including conducting EIAs;
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) (English);
- Good working knowledge of various IT packages required for the post;
- Good team-working; networking and influencing skills;
- Valid Code 08 (B) drivers licence.
The role of the Environmental manager is to develop, implement and monitor environmental strategies that promote sustainable development and practices in the Kruger National Park. Specific key roles and responsibilities include:
- Developing an integrated and adaptive environmental management system (EMS) for KNP;
- Instilling Environmental Ethics through a Sustainable Environmental Development Framework, in support of KNPâs Climate Change and Green Recovery strategies;
- Review current and develop new KNP environmental standards, operational policies, SOPs, and guidelines;
- Devising strategies, best tools and systems to monitor performance and encourage best environmental practice;
- Oversee compliance, enforcement and monitoring with environmental legislation including NEMA, NEM:BA, NEM:PAA;
- Oversee Environmental auditing of development and activities in the KNP;
- Stakeholder management, communication; advisory and liaising with internal/external departments, partners and regulatory bodies;
- Assessing, analysing, collating and communicating environmental performance data and reporting information to internal staff, clients and regulatory bodies;
- Perform general staff, administration and finance management
R 570 344
Closing date: 18 June 2021