AVI LIMITED is home to many of South Africa’s leading and best-loved brands. Listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in the Food Products sector, and centered on the FMCG market, AVI’s extensive brand portfolio includes more than 50 brands. Our single-minded purpose is our brands’ growth and development. AVI INTERNATIONAL a division of AVI LIMITED, based in Bryanston, Johannesburg with subsidiary operations in Botswana, Zambia, and Namibia responsible for expanding the AVI Brand footprint outside South Africa.
An exciting opportunity exists for a FINANCIAL EXECUTIVE at AVI INTERNATIONAL in Bryanston, Johannesburg. As part of a small and robust executive team, which achieves an annual turnover of over a billion rand. The role will require a hands-on approach and a willingness to maintain oversight but also to get involved in the detail where required. The successful incumbent will be expected to collaborate with the executive team and to contribute beyond his/her defined role, with a high level of autonomy. A strategic capability is an important and effective communication with stakeholders at all levels throughout the organisation is imperative. Must be able to see the bigger picture and be solutions-focused within a complex organisation operating across multiple markets and product categories.
The Finance Executive should be able to manage the finance and logistics teams within the business unit and influence these in the subsidiary operations. To take the lead on all commercial decisions and work in close conjunction with the rest of the executive team. He/she should be able to interact with and manage output from Finance Shared Services including Cashbook, Fixed Assets, General Ledger, Shareholder Reporting, Taxation, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Strategic Costing, Consolidations, Business Systems Support, Forensics, Fleet and Treasury.
The Finance Executive will be responsible for building and maintaining strong, transparent relationships with other members of the AVI Finance community, including National Brands, Indigo Brands, Finance Shared Services, and Logistics Shared Services, and develop a team that is competent, motivated, and uses initiative to add value to the business in each of their roles. As the successful incumbent, they should be able to ensure that early estimates, trading updates, budgets, forecasts, and monthly reporting requirements are prepared accurately and timeously and that any queries raised by AVI or any other stakeholders of the business unit are addressed effectively and timeously.
Line Manager: Managing Director
Number of Direct Reports: 2 Direct Reports
Key Performance Areas:
- Provide strategic, tactical, financial, and commercial input and leadership in decision-making matters pertaining to the financial wellbeing and growth of the business, including budget management, forecasting, evaluation of the financial impact of operational issues, major capital projects, and policy decisions
- Motivate, empower and lead team members by applying sound performance management, coaching, and leadership practices while developing commercial competency across the business
- Manage relationships with key service providers within AVI Shared Service structures for optimal service delivery
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate financial and commercial planning and control tools, structures, and systems, to facilitate and support good corporate governance and risk mitigation
- Monitor and provide information and insights to the executive team and participate in optimising the profitability and growth of the business
- Prepare and report on budgets and quarterly forecasts as per AVI’s timelines. Communicate effectively with all stakeholders throughout the process. Together with AVI International Managing Director, prepare and submit the annual budget and strategy documentation and presentations
- Ensure that all monthly reporting is accurate and timeous
- Ensure that external audits (together with the Finance Shared Services Finance Executive and in-country finance teams) run smoothly from a client deliverable perspective, i.e. no delays in providing client information and all reports and information are accurate with no material errors
- Ensure that internal audits (together with the in-country finance teams) are well prepared for and audit findings are appropriately followed up and addressed
- Completed articles, preferably at one of the Top 4 (Four) Audit Firms
- At least 2 years’ full financial function experience at a senior management level
- Experience working with complex ERP/financial systems in listed companies
- Experience working cross border and with international subsidiaries will be highly advantageous
- CA (SA) Qualification
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of financial processes
- Microsoft Excel
- Sound knowledge of financial accounting standards and best practices
- Previous working experience on SAP
- Thinking Analytically
- Interpreting Data
- Articulating Information
- Staying Composed
- Meeting Deadlines
- Attention to Detail
- Minimising Risk
- Planning & Organising