GRS SA: Finance Officer
Grassroot Soccer South Africa (GRS SA)
An opportunity exists for an exceptional individual with relevant qualifications, experience and motivation to join Grassroot Soccer South Africa (GRS SA) team in Johannesburg.
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reports to: Finance and Operations Manager
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
ABOUT GRASSROOT SOCCER
Grassroot Soccer (GRS) South Africa is an innovative adolescent health organisation that educates, inspires and mobilizes at-risk young people to overcome their greatest health challenges and live healthier, more productive lives. GRS uses the power of soccer to connect young people with the mentors, information and health services they need to thrive, and empowers adolescents to make educated choices about pressing health challenges such as HIV and AIDS, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and gender-based violence. GRS’s evidence-based programmes, led by trained local Coaches, incorporate soccer into dynamic lessons about health and wellness that engage young people and breaks down cultural barriers.
Under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will provide comprehensive financial support to the GRS SA Community Based Violence Prevention & Linkages Project, by handling day to day financial transactions in the office, maintenance of the petty cash, assisting technical team in preparing budgets, regular payments to vendors and supporting Programme Manager and Programme Coordinators in cash flow preparation. The Finance Officer will also assist in month end reporting and preparation of cash projections.
- Processing of daily bills, claims and statement of accounts. Assures the authenticity of purchase of goods and services, reimbursement of expenses, footings are correct and cross referenced
- Codes all disbursements to the proper general ledger accounts and project codes
- Preparation of vouchers and checks for approval of the Finance Manager/ Managing Director. Assure that vouchers prior to approval are properly supported by valid documents such as receipts, invoices, contracts, claim forms, request for payments, worksheets, etc.
- Examine all financial documents, i.e., expense reports, invoices, purchase orders, contracts, to ensure completeness, accuracy and validity of financial data, as well as being allowable and in accordance with terms and agreement of the award and GRS SA financial systems and procedures.
- Issuance of payments to suppliers, staff and consultants within agreed budgetary limits and on time thus ensuring that GRS SA fulfils its obligations.
- As Petty Cash custodian, assure that there are enough funds for daily cash operations. Prepares a weekly and monthly reconciliation of such fund.
- Daily monitoring of cash position prior to approval of vouchers and check signing
- Weekly bank reconciliation of funds in the bank assuring that reconciling items are properly accounted for and properly approved by the Finance Manager.
- Follow-up reviews and verifies the liquidation of advances. Prepares the corresponding entry of such liquidation for entry into the voucher and pastel.
- Review and recommend on improvements of general financial system.
- Variance reporting of the General Office expenditure versus budget in coordination with the Administrative unit.
- Assist in the preparation of Annual and Revised budget
- Data entry on a daily basis into pastel and vouchers.
- Month-end and year-end processing in coordination with the Finance and Operations Manager.
- Assist programme manager and programme coordinator with investigations regarding their monthly budget v actual reports
- Assist programme manager and programme coordinator with preparation of cash flow data.
- Filing chronologically vouchers after approval together with supporting documents. Stamp “PAID” such documents to avoid having these documents presented for repayment.
- Preparation of payroll for full-time, volunteer and local staff
- Preparation and Submission of all Statutory returns e.g., VAT, PAYE, UIF, SDL etc.
- Orient and train new hired staff in general finance including how to complete the travel expense sheet, as well as protocol for submitting advances or reimbursements
- Assist with preparation of Statutory and Project Audits by Compiling information for internal and external auditors, as required
- Assist in the preparation of all financial and non-financial information required for project sponsors, programme manager, Board, Trustees and external funders as required in both routine reporting and ad hoc requests.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Key Professional Experience and Personal Attributes:
- Degree or Diploma in business management, finance, accounting, or other related discipline.
- At least 3 to 5 years’ experience in different aspects of project accounting
- 2 years’ experience required in accounting and reporting for USAID-funded project
- Demonstrated capacity to manage operational staff
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations regarding accounting, reporting and auditing
- MS Office tools (e.g., Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Pastel Accounting software knowledge essential
The tasks listed above are not exhaustive but comprise the essential job functions. Grassroot Soccer reserves the right to change and update job descriptions at any time in line with operational requirements.
Ideal candidate should demonstrate the following traits:
Successful leaders at Grassroot Soccer are bold, yet humble. They are passionate about the mission of Grassroot Soccer and understand their role on the Grassroot Soccer team to achieve its mission.
Day to day, they are….
- Proactive: can anticipate both opportunities and obstacles and take action
- Professional: level-headed; ability to de-escalate difficult situations, behave exceptionally, and manage/minimize distractions
- Problem Solvers: comfortable with ambiguity, can creatively unlock bottlenecks and turn problems into opportunities
…they demonstrate lots of…
- Common Sense: prioritizing the right things at the right time; making good, quick, informed decisions balancing multiple issues and points of view
- Self-awareness: know where one’s blind spots are, recognize differences, and build a team to complement one’s skills and weaknesses
…and a strong bias for…
- Follow-through and outcomes: deliver results, not just create lots of activity
- Treating people well: empathetic, kind, great listener, yet can make tough decisions and hold oneself/others accountable
Send your letter of motivation, CV including the contact details of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line: Finance Officer – GRS SA
Applications close on Friday, 5 February, 2021.
If you do not hear from us within two weeks from the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. GRS SA reserve the right not to make an appointment.