Food & Beverage Manager – N/A11732
Applications accepted until:
Number of Openings
Responsible for the effective day-to-day management of Food & Beverage operations (including restaurants, beverage operations and food and beverage service in the casino operations), with specific regard to:
- achieving profitability in specific outlets
- improving of standards of operation
- maximising customer satisfaction
- facilities and product maintenance and enhancement
- ensuring all F&B operational efforts on the casino floor achieve the F&B strategy and objectives
3 Year Hotel School Diploma or equivalent National Qualification at a Diploma level
9-10 years in the food and beverage industry of which at least 5 years are at a management level
Work conditions and special requirements:
- Ability to work shifts that meet operational requirements
- Mobility and ability to move around as per job requirements (including the use of aids)
Skills and Knowledge
- Motivating others / gaining co-operation
- Training; coaching; keeping abreast of new developments in field
- Analysing / Diagnosing performance of the outlet / product performance
- Reviewing – Assessing feasibility; assessing compliance; efficiencies
- Appraising / Developing Others including evaluating for recruitment, performance, coaching and training
- Controlling people and non-people resources
- Influencing & negotiating skills
Key Performance Areas:
F&B Strategic Planning
- Understand the Group F&B strategy and align Unit F&B strategy
- Develop strategic objectives for the Units F&B deliverables
- Facilitate the project management and achievement of milestones of F&B deliverables
- Direct F&B product analyses and benchmark with leading F&B trends
- Identify and investigate new F&B opportunities for the property
- Direct risk analyses i.t.o impact on short term profit margins vs. long term sustainability
- Provide clear delegation of authority and accountability for deliverables at all levels
- Communicate with all relevant Stakeholders internally at a unit and Group level and externally
- Manage and allocate people and operational resources
- Facilitate marketing plans relative to promotions and strategies
- Align strategies with EE, SD and procurement transformation strategies which contribute towards BBBEE targets being achieved for the property
F&B Revenue Optimisation
- Establish revenue targets per outlet to track performance on a daily basis
- Develop business action plans and promotions to capitalize on revenue and drive incremental revenues.
- Leverage off suppliers to drive value add promotional activity
- Complete a competitor analysis of food, beverage and conferencing products in property catchment areas including pricing comparisons
- Conduct product performance analyses / reviews and make recommendations to address opportunities and gaps
- Provide product rationalisation on a regular basis or as required
- Motivate new product enhancements
- Budget and direct the implementation of approved projects
- Measure ROI and performance on a regular basis
- Share unit successes with other operations
F&B Standards & Governance
Oversee F&B standards and processes at a unit level
Integrates Group standards into Unit Operations
Align practices with new legislative compliance around health, hygiene, safety and the environment
Implement sufficient control measures (including systems and processes) & checks within each department to mitigate any financial risk to the business. All staff in F&B to adhere the policy and procedures.
Conduct weekly walkabouts of all F&B front of house and back of house areas to monitor compliance
Drive a waste management culture and ensure all staff are trained.
Work with internal stakeholders (maintenance, finance, HR, and security) to identify risk areas and address these
People Management and Development
- Lead and motivate F&B employees and promote positive working relationships, direction and support
- Lead and oversee departmental communication ensuring employee and management interaction
- Measure and develop strategies to enhance employee engagement
- Identify and manage training, coaching and development requirements in line with strategic plans, e.g. skills shortages, succession plans, talent management
- Ensure competent levels of staff meet operational level requirements (right fit for the job)
- Source and Select talent as per EE plan to build the future food and beverage talent pipeline
- Performance Manage and coach reporting managers to ensure KPAs are achieved
- Manage employee relations within the F&B function (monthly meetings with Union – formalised, minuted, issues addressed).
¢Budget forecasts & control
¢Motivate and manage Capex requirements
¢Complete Cost of Sales reports including
1.Theoretical COS per outlet for food & beverage respectively.
2.Recipes Recipe links needs to be in place to ensure accuracy and legitimacy of theoretical as well as put us in a position for the theoretical to be system generated.
3.Food recipe All menu item food recipes to be reviewed and signed off and where needed recaptured into the system MC or IFS to ensure accurate food theoretical.
4.Procurement All supplier prices and supplier price quotes to be reviewed and monitored on a monthly basis going forward to ensure we monitor and track price movements to minimize input cost fluctuations.
5.Cost control oversee the conducting of accurate stock takes in line with Company process. Use stock takes variance reports to manage underperforming outlets in relation to COS
F&B Promotions & Marketing
- Liaise with Marketing to drive banqueting sales and marketing and promotional F&B activities
- Build collateral with marketing to position promotions to the external market
- Conduct post-mortem and analysis of promotions
- Calculate ROI
Consolidation monthly Financial Reports for the entire food and beverage operation including consolidated views of:
- Salary forecast vs actuals salary monthly forecast to be based on rosters. Track and monitor salary cost in relation to revenue achieved daily and make adjustments throughout the month to bring salary cost in line as a percentage of revenue.
- Absenteeism actively manage and report on absenteeism in line with company policy, rules, and regulations
- Productivity Covers per hour/drinks per hour needs to be monitored daily to ensure staff are operating at the required level to achieve and exceed budgeted revenues with remedial action taken when not tracking on target.
- Sales targets report on variation to set sales targets in line with staff productivities and revenues. Report on remedial action taken when targets not met.
- Labor brokers report on the use of labour brokers and various against productivities
Customer Relationship Management
- Develop a CVP in line with the unit strategy and marketing / guest feedback
- Deal with any escalations / complaints
- Frequent Interaction with guests (especially VIPs)
- Supports VIP services in various initiatives i.e. functions, events
- Communicates customer standards to department for implementation
- Monitors customer standards and addresses gaps
- Be present and provide management support in F&B outlets and operation when required
Stakeholder relationship management
- Attends meeting as per schedule
- Informs department / staff of information required to perform the duties and restaurant operation effectively
- Communicates departments objectives, standards and operating procedures to internal and external service providers as per SLA
- Communicates any special guest requirements or events to other relevant operating departments
- Provides feedback and reports back to Unit management on the performance and challenges within the restaurant
- Maintains regular communication with all relevant stakeholders with regards progress, issues, changes, etc.
- Provides feedback on operations to Group F&B on initiatives, performance, concerns, etc.