General Manager: Acute/Complementary Operations
- Head Office
- Head Office, JHB
- General Manager: Acute/Complementary Operations
- An exciting opportunity exists for a General Manager: Acute/Complementary Operations, for Life Healthcare SA reporting to the Business Operations Executive, South Africa, Craig Koekemoer.
This is a key role designed to assist and support the Operations Executive in leading, coordinating and governing the Acute and Complementary hospital business. The role will, through the regions, involve defined line management responsibilities and have a strong focus on commercial management, governance and compliance. In this capacity, the General Manager will provide strong line support to the Operations Executive in integrating and delivering on the relevant aspects of the group’s strategic plan. The General Manager will work with the regions and direct, supervise and coordinate the business operations as well as participate in the development and administration of policies relating to business operations. Geographical location will be confirmed in discussion with the successful candidate, but it must be noted that the role will involve extensive travel within South Africa.
- Critical Outputs
Effective strategy facilitation and implementation:
- Works through the regional management teams, serving as a resource to help reduce costs, enhance revenues, achieve effective utilisation and quality goals and objectives, analyse and utilize information to develop and support management decisions
- Works with the Business Operations Executive to develop and facilitate new business strategies, enhance market share and improve overall performance
- Acts as implementation agent for key operational and strategic initiatives
- Work with the New Business Executive regarding the introduction of new business lines and efficiency initiatives
- Participates in development of long-range strategic plans and objectives
- Participates in the evolution and refinement of the quality and efficiency improvement processes
- Undertakes special projects as directed by the Business Operations Executive
- Communicates key information to the stakeholders of these service areas with respect to cost management, efficiencies and customer-focus services
Effective commercial management through:
- Oversight and facilitation of the capital investment process, including involvement in setting and monitoring budgets in conjunction with the finance function and business development
- Oversight and facilitation of project and growth proposals, including review and interrogation of financial models
- Analysing and understanding trading results, including trends, benchmarking, achievement versus budget and driving performance
- Reviewing, interrogating and approving of trading and capital expenditure budgets
Compliance and governance:
- Acts as custodian of governance and delegation of authority for the acute and complementary business
- Participates in establishment, implementation and maintenance of organisational policies and procedures
- Interprets policies, objectives and operational procedures
- Analyses and recommends changes in organisational systems, policies and procedures and ensures their implementation
Effective people management:
- Participates in recruitment and retention of senior staff
- Resolves problems related to staffing, utilisation of facilities, equipment and supplies
- Oversees major workforce and other resource decisions for the hospitals in conjunction with Business Operations Executive
- Evaluates relevant performance and recommends merit increases, promotion, and disciplinary actions
- Bachelor’s degree in business, health or public service. Honours degree and finance qualification and experience preferred
- A minimum of 10 years’ leadership experience in a hospital environment (preferable), with a strong bias towards commercial management, governance and compliance at a senior level
- Financial acumen with an ability to analyse and understand results and budgets, as well as critically assess and advise on financial models and project viability
- Demonstrated leadership and organisational management skills
- Experience in working with a cross-section of health care professionals and other professionals, both internal and external
- Negotiation and influencing skills
- Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
- Engaging diversity Building relationships & networking
- Customer responsiveness
- Influencing skills
- Verbal & written communication and presentation skills
- Financial and Commercial acumen
- Motivating and developing people
- Ethical behaviour
- Organisational awareness
- Closing date
- Thursday, August 5, 2021
Candidate must be willing to gain a thorough knowledge of Compensation & Benefits in general as well as a good understanding of the Life Healthcare retirement funds. Customer focus and sound judgement skills are critical. Good organisational skills are essential.
Internal applicants – Before making an application, you are requested to discuss your application with your line manager. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive any communication after 2 weeks of closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
External candidates will also be considered.
Explore our vacancies and find the right opportunity for you. Download the application form and email to the relevant contact person specified in the job advertisement.
Life Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.