The Message Trust: Halfway Home Leader & Pastoral Care
The Message Trust
The Message Trust South Africa exists to raise up generations of urban heroes, creating opportunities for tens of thousands of urban teenagers and young adults to hear the good news of Jesus in word and demonstrated in action.
The Message Trust seeks to appoint a House Leader and Pastoral Care to be based in Message South Africa HQ – Mowbray, Cape Town.
Summary of main purpose of the job is to live in our OAKS Discipleship home as house leader. To lead and manage the home and ensure each resident development plan is in place.
To lead pastoral care activities and intensive discipleship support for our Message Trust reintegration students.
Hours: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Salary: 10K CTC (Accommodation is covered)
Start Date: Sept 2021
Date Amended: NA
Responsible to: Prisons and Enterprise Team Leader
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To manage the home daily
- To provide clear structure and guidelines for all residents in the home as set out in OAKS Residential Agreement.
- To train and equip residents towards independence and work towards their exit date agreement.
- To ensure for all OAKS residents that a development plan for each resident has been developed and implemented, working alongside our social worker and prison team. To report on this monthly.
- To liaise with social worker on family needs for residents.
- To run weekly bible studies and courses in home during evenings and weekends, involving and encouraging partnership ministries and churches. This should form ongoing curricula for the home.
- Develop relationships in Mowbray community with surrounding schools, nonprofits and businesses to encourage OAKS residents to give back.
- To work with our prisons team and be transparent on the progress and any disciplinary issues in the home.
- Report monthly on each client
- To facilitate one on one pastoral care/discipleship for our students using our Wheel of Life tool
- To run a weekly bible study for all our reintegration students
- To do home visits with social worker when required
- Work with local churches to support our students and integrate them into local church
- To ensure good communication with all external relationships such as Corrections, facilitators and funders
- To oversee and manage Salesforce prison database and ensure all documentation is updated and that all information is updated (ensuring all data is in line thee POPI ACT).
- To attend monthly Prisons and Enterprise monthly meetings and report back on beneficiaries’ progress
- Attend morning devotions
- Attend monthly prayer days
To do monthly report
- Committed and proven Christian leader with experience in working with disadvantaged and dysfunctional people
- Strong administrative and reporting skills
- To work in a diverse team and cross culturally
- A full driver’s license
- Experience of working with youth at risk, especially those incarcerated
- Experience of discipling young people into deeper knowledge of Christ
- Leadership and training experience
- The willingness to go many extra miles for the cause
- A passion to see young, disadvantaged people achieving their full potential
- A strong ability to organise and complete administrative tasks.
- Ability to take responsibility and initiative
- A team player who respects and supports the leadership of others
Have a good reputation for displaying the following characteristics:
- Good communication skills
- Able to take initiative
- Dependable and Loyal
- Adaptable and flexible with problem-solving approach
- Able to take constructive criticism
- Able to hold own counsel
- Outgoing disposition
- Respect for authority
- Absolute discretion with members of the opposite sex
- Operate in an anti-discriminatory way
· Be able to show evidence of possessing the following skills:
- Ability to follow and carry out set administrative tasks/assignments
- Ability to initiate within agreed parameters
- Able to adapt quickly and take responsibility when required to
- Ability to diffuse confrontational behaviour & deal with conflict
- Ability to drive with own transport
To apply please email email@example.com with your CV and a one page motivational letter and for full job spec.
For more about Message Trust South Africa, refer to www.messages.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies