Direct Reporting Line:
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE’s Varsity College Sandton campus has a vacancy for a reliable Handyman to undertake upkeep and repair tasks at the interior or exterior of company premises. We will rely on you to keep our facilities in perfect condition by doing various odd jobs.
Skillful hands, competency with hand tools and technical knowledge are important parts of a handyman’s arsenal. You must be well-organized with strong general repair skills. A keen eye for detail and physical stamina are valued greatly in this job.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform maintenance and light repairs
- Set up venues as per instruction from Facilities Co-ordinator when needed.
- Paint and/or repair gaps or crevices (on walls, sidewalks etc.)
- Undertake light installation or carpeting.
- Look after and take accountability of tools and equipment in storerooms
- Repair equipment or appliances where possible
- Undertake minor plumbing or electrical work
- Assist contractors while on site with major electrical, plumbing work
- Undertake duties as assigned or emergency tasks where needed or instructed by Facilities Co-ordinator
- Identify and report the need for any repairs to line manager
- Oversee subcontracted services on the campus under the direction of the Facilities Coordinator
- Perform regular inspections on the campus to identify items and areas requiring attention
- Responsible on occasion for the opening and closing of the campus
- Responsible for sourcing quotes for campus, under direction of the Facilities Coordinator
- Will be based at the Sandton campus
- Any ad hoc duties as directed by the Facilities Co-ordinator.
- Well-presented and good communication skills
- Must have problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word & Excel)
- Basic math skills
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- Matric or equivalent
- Electrical or Plumbing Certificate/Training would be advantageous
Minimum Experience Requirements:
- Proven experience as handyman
- Experience with hardware tools and electrical equipment
- Basic understanding of electrical and plumbing
- EE/AA Position
- Clear criminal record
- Ideal candidate must reside within a 20km radius of the Sandton campus.
- If you are unable to apply , you can email your CV to :firstname.lastname@example.org