The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state-owned organisation. They work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ offers the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services.
The GIZ South Africa, Lesotho and eSwatini Country Office in Pretoria is looking to fill the position of HR & Payroll Officer. Our client is seeking candidates that transform, deliver high impact and sustained results.
You will be responsible for the organizational and administrative support in accordance with the specific GIZ regulations and guidelines, co-ordinating effectively with colleagues at national and international level.
Qualifications & Experience:
- B.A degree/Diploma in Human Resource Management, Commerce, Finance, Accounting, similar or comparable
- At least 5 -7 years’ professional experience in HR & Payroll, Accounting or similar in a comparable position;
- Indepth knowledge of of Payroll Calculations and Processing;
- Good experience and knowledge of Payroll Systems (Psiber) or similar.
How you can make a difference …..
- Dealing with all questions arising in this area
- Identifying relevant problems and issues and assisting in formulating implementation-oriented solutions
- Further developing instruments and assisting in introducing innovation and change
- Managing knowledge by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information.
Conditions of Employment & Payroll:
- (In consultation with the HR Unit Head) draws up the appropriate contract based on national labour law and in line with the GIZ Regulation considering formal conditions (limited/unlimited employment contract, distinction from appraiser contract, internship etc.)
- Ensure that all other organisational and administrative processing stages, e.g. monthly update of entries in SAP HR application for national personnel
- Register all new personnel with the pension fund and medical aid (in consultation with the HR Unit Head)
- Prepare Salary Payment Vouchers for Finance Accounting
- Ensure that Unemployment Fund (UIF) and SARS payment are made timely
- Administer leave records for staff on the Psiber system (ESS)
- Process Payroll payments and adhoc payments for Staff Wellbeing and Staff
- Process and support in the sourcing of Staff Development/Training Service Providers
- Process terminations letter on pension fund, medical aid
- In consultation with the HR Head of Unit, updates information on employment conditions for national personnel (compensation system, salary groups, model job descriptions, labour law etc.)
- Ensure timely, correct and complete documentation of all payroll files.
Professional Advice and Compliance with Data Confidentiality to be observed as per below:
- Advise and ensure that HR Data Confidentiality is adhered and followed as per the GIZ Data Regulations.
- Analyse and revise HR processes, systems and documentations according to data confidentiality regulations and legal requirements;
- Observe complete discretion and confidentiality during and after his/her employment about all matters which become known to him/her during his/her employment. This shall not apply to information or facts which is common knowledge, in the public domain or which is not of a nature or significance that warrants confidentiality.
HR Instruments and Procedures
- Assists in implementing policies for national personnel;
- Involved in HRM for national personnel;
- Assists with formulating and updating a wide range of HR information materials (for new staff or for the employment manual);
- Support with developing HR procedures and instruments;
- Organising the evaluation process (information on schedule for the Staff Assessment and development talks, filing forms, monitoring documentation on qualification requirements and professional development etc.);
- Provide assistance with training materials (including producing materials or planning rooms for induction events for new staff);
- Responsible to calculate and finalise Performance Assessment Related Excel sheets and final payments;
- Responsible to keep Personnel Data updated for Security & Risk Management purposes;
- Responsible to electronically archive Personnel information on the Data Management system as per the GIZ Regulations. (using SAP);
- Assist with Recruitment & Selection Processes on Stand-In basis.
- Responsible for Visa matters of Seconded personnel, Development Advisors and regional personnel and their families;
- Responsible to advise, guide, prepare and finalise new Accreditations, ID’s, Permits and Study permits;
- Responsible to advise, guide, prepare and finalise renewal and amendments on Visa’s;
- Responsible to ensure the return of ID Cards at end of Contract;
- Assist and advise International staff in the opening of South African Bank accounts;
- Update List on the Public Drive for the durations of the contracts;
- Keep personnel Data updated and monitor extension of Visas;
- Close interaction with German Embassy, GIZ HQ/HR, all relevant South African Authorities.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of the German Language;
- Ability show discretion, especially when handling confidential information;
- Exceptional Customer Service and Advisory Skills;
- Team player, outstanding interpersonal and communication skills;
- Intercultural experience and the ability to embraces GIZ values on diversity and inclusion;
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- Basic knowledge of National Labour Laws and Regulations;
- Basic knowledge of HR management;
- Strictly confidential handling of all HR issues:
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Additional Requirements & Information:
- This position is based in Pretoria and is a long term fixed contract (24 months).
- A motivation letter “Why Giz …. and why do you think you will fit into this organisation?
- Kindly provide us with a detailed CV with your accomplishments at each company.