Sonke Gender Justice: Internship
Sonke Gender Justice
Founded in 2006, Sonke is a womxn’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty free world in which womxn, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and womxn’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty. (http://www.genderjustice.org.za/)
About this internship:
Are you a feminist researcher interested in supporting the development of feminist curriculum, materials and archives? Would you enjoy researching and engaging with feminist education and methodologies using digital technology? Are you committed to political, economic and social equality and justice? Can you help strengthen solidarity networks by identifying feminist movements and networks who work in these areas? Do you have good writing skills and communication experience, (including through digital media platforms) and strong organisational and administrative abilities?
Sonke is looking for an intern that fits the above criteria. The candidate needs relevant qualifications and skills, preferably with a background in the feminist movement or experience in using a feminist lens on socio-economic rights. This internship is available at our Cape Town offices.
- Feminist research, organisational, administrative and technical skills to support the development
- of feminist curriculum and materials
- Ability to help administer and track the work-program, paying attention to detail and multiple
- tasks to ensure realistic deadlines are met.
- Experience of convening effective online meetings.
- Ability to record, transcribe and follow up key decisions. (A good typing speed is advantageous)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and other relevant programs.
- Ability to identify relevant research and expertise needed to develop accessible written and
- audio-visual materials.
- Good writing skill and verbal communication ability. Experience in accessible digital media and
- interest in using technology for social change is advantageous.
- A university degree and relevant qualifications. Suitably qualified candidates who also have practical experience are encouraged to apply.
- Interested applicants should submit their CV, including 2 references and a motivational letter to email@example.com by 19 February 2021.
- The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.