Internship – Water Treatment Plant Operator / Junior Engineer
|Company:||Elgin Free Range Chickens|
The intern will learn the essential duties of operating an industrial water treatment plant as well as maintain proper reserves to ensure a constant supply of safe and clean water for the factory in line with set specifications.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Responsible for the day to day running of the water treatment plant and ensuring that there is sufficient water and reserves to ensure a constant supply of safe and clean water for the factory in line with set specifications.
• Perform assigned treatment plant rounds; inspect, monitor, troubleshoot, performance test and document plant processes by reading plant equipment gauges, dials, graphs, monitors, meters and other instrumentation to verify that flows are maintained.
• Operate and adjust treatment plant pumps, motors, feeders and other equipment to maintain appropriate plant operations and water supply.
• Determine proper chemical dosage rates to ensure water safety.
• Maintain, compile and update water treatment plant operations logs and reports.
• Mix and add treatment chemicals; install and replace chlorine cylinder tanks; ensure adequate chemical application according to regulations and guidelines.
• Collect samples used to perform water quality laboratory tests.
• Responsible for the reporting of any food safety related concern/s.
• Cleaning filters to remove entrapped solids when necessary.
• Maintaining inventory of chemicals used in the water treatment plan process.
• Communication of water conditions, quality and levels as required and expected.
• Checking and maintaining of all the water lines.
• Liaising with suppliers/contractors with regards to equipment needed.
• Ensuring and maintaining a safe work environment and adhering to health and safety requirements.
• Assisting with all repairs, breakdowns, projects and daily tasks in the Maintenance department.
• Carrying out of all the activities on the maintenance schedule.
• Conducting of preventative maintenance on the weekend.
• Ensuring minimal downtime/breakdowns.
• Minimum grade 12
• Recently completed or currently studying towards a qualification in Chemical Engineering or Water and Waste Water Treatment.
• Knowledge in consumable water treatment plant operations.
• Vast theoretical knowledge on methods and techniques of maintaining, repairing and troubleshooting water or water plant equipment and processes.
• Hazardous chemical substance handling course and other relevant Health and Safety related training.
• Team player and ability to maintain a positive attitude in the team.
• Good communication skills.
• Must be willing to work early shifts, overtime, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays when required.
• Must be able to adhere to safety practices in handling hazardous materials.
We offer a competitive salary with benefits. The appointment will be made in accordance with the Company’s EE Policy. Interested applicants should forward their CV’s clearly stating which position they are applying for, on or before 30 September 2021. Candidates who apply from outside the Western Cape will be responsible for all relocation costs should their application be successful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you have not been contacted within 1 month, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Posted on 14 Sep 2021