1. JOB TITLE IT Developer
2. POST LEVEL To be graded
3. DEPARTMENT IT
4. REPORTING LINE IT Manager
5. DIVISION IT
6. LOCATION / CENTRE Parktown
7. CONTRACT TYPE Full time
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Design, code and implement computer programs for a variety of INSETA data processing needs; perform analysis and modification
of existing programs and operations to meet changing needs and to provide for system enhancements; write maintenance and
user documentation to support programs; test and debug programs for accuracy and reliability; instruct program users in proper
a) Skills Development Act (SDA)
b) Skills Development Levies Act (SDLA)
c) South African Quality Assurance Act (SAQA Act)
d) National Qualifications Framework Act (NQF Act)
e) Basic Condition of Employment Act (BCE Act)
f) Labour Relations Act (LR Act)
g) Employment Equity Act (EE Act)
h) Public Finance Management Act (PFM Act)
i) National Skills Development Strategy (NSDS)
j) Treasury Regulations
k) DoL / DoHET Guideline
Key Performance Areas Outputs
1.Continuous improvement • Applies specialist knowledge of one area of business processes and understanding
of related processes to produce work products.
• Matches appropriate methods to identified improvement needs.
• Maintains credibility and facilitates buy-in through effective discussions with
primary stakeholders and sustained relationships with peers.
• Leverages knowledge and prior experience to develop, present and defend
conclusions and recommendations and implementation strategies/plan.
• Develops and recommends improvements or redesigns processes.
• Evaluates and implements process improvement solutions.
• Contributes to capacity building and process improvement knowledge bases
through feeding back best practices and redefining tools and techniques as
• Articulates the value-added or realised benefits from an improvement project by
outlining specific performance measures, targets and goals.
2.Citizen focus and responsiveness • Monitors citizen/customer product/service standards to ensure that established
standards are met.
• Introduces new product/service standards to respond to citizen/customer needs.
• Establishes a schedule or plan for satisfying citizen/customer needs and
• Pursues the completion of work objectives that supports meeting citizen/customer
needs and expectations.
• Delivers services or products to client or citizen in a timely manner.
• Follows up with the citizen or client in a timely manner to ensure that the services
• Develops improvement processes for setting and reviewing products and services.
• Meets regularly with members of the community and or other role-players to build
• Maintains impartiality always by listening carefully to others and not to provide
3.Developing others • Diagnoses performance issues, and determines appropriate development
• approach to suit the individual’s learning style.
• Paces the level and quality of instruction or coaching to allow assimilation of the
• Encourages self-reliance and is approachable and reliable.
• Offers own expertise to peers, stakeholders.
• Invests time in coaching and mentoring.
• Arranges specific assignments or projects to challenge others and stretch their
abilities and self-confidence.
• Assesses and selects employees with appropriate skills and capabilities, then
delegates full authority and responsibility.
• Gives others the autonomy to approach issues in their own way, including the
opportunity to make and learn from mistakes.
• Seeks training opportunities for the continued update of skills.
• Actively renews own personal and professional skills, applies them to new areas and
remains current in area of work.
• Regularly contributes to, and takes from, relevant professional forums/bodies of
4.Diversity management • Provides opportunities that will enhance a more diverse workforce and provides
opportunities and equal access to development opportunities irrespective of their
racial, gender and cultural backgrounds.
• Drives the compliance with the Employment Equity and Affirmative Action Policy and
• Takes disciplinary action against discrimination and gender abuse.
• Makes an acute effort to eliminate prejudice, discrimination and systemic barriers
that exist within the work environment.
• Ensures that all management practices and policies are free of discrimination.
5.Communication and information
• Sources data, analyses it and converts it in reports and presentations.
• Develops databases and tools for reports and web distribution.
• Provides information in a format that is attractive, interesting and useful.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of data gathering and distribution channels (e.g.
• web pages, call centres, complaints, etc.).
• Installs and maintains document management, storage and retrieval systems.
• Maintains effective communication channels enabled with current technologies.
6.Problem solving and decision
• Acts decisively on own authority when timely action is needed.
• Takes measured risks when it is necessary to ensure that initiatives are moved
• Makes difficult or unpopular decisions.
• Weighs alternatives without jumping to conclusions.
• Identifies and takes alternative actions when the risks of taking the standard or
traditional approach is too high.
• Manages own feelings of disappointment, anger, etc. that come as the result of an
unpopular or difficult decision.
• Demonstrates sound judgement within time and resource constraints.
• Checks to see if the action proposed will satisfy the need (problem or opportunity).
• Considers the risks involved with various courses of action.
• Checks assumptions against facts when making decisions.
• Chooses solutions with the best benefit-to cost ratios.
• Challenges subordinates to identify alternatives and plans to implement solutions.
7.Influence and impact • Creates favourable first impressions quickly.
• Is confident and persuasive.
• Maintains audience interest during discussion, presentations and meetings.
• Supports and defends proposals made and convinces others of the benefits and
value of the proposals presented.
• Use a variety of different persuasions and “selling” techniques and tools when
meeting with others.
• Uses an in-depth understanding of the interactions within a group to move towards
a specific agenda (e.g. may share information among individuals to promote the
desired outcomes or interactions).
• Uses direct persuasion in a discussion or presentation.
8.Team Leadership • Recognises the value of using teams to accomplish work-unit or the departmental
• Acts to build team spirit for purposes of promoting the effectiveness of the group or
• Establishes norms for group behaviour (rules of engagement).
• Discusses progress of projects periodically with the team to ensure the goals and
objectives of the team can be accomplished.
• Encourages groups to work together by agreeing the goals, processes, tasks and
completion of tasks.
• Applies group process skills to assist the team achieve their results.
• Recognises and praises the team for their effort and achievements.
• Acts to promote good working relationships regardless of personal likes and dislikes.
• Encourages or facilitates beneficial resolution to conflict.
• Encourages the achievement of results through teamwork, co-operation and
9.Applying technology • Tests new technologies, work processes and practices to make transactions and the
collection of data and information more effective.
• Evaluates recent technological innovations as they relate to workplace systems.
• Integrates technology and information technology systems with workplace activities
to resolve operational problems.
• Ensures technology is adequate to help achieve business objectives.
• Ensures staff has access to the appropriate technology.
10.Planning and organising • Translates objectives into specific plans.
• Prepares clear plans and a strategic focus before starting to work on projects or
• Organises, prioritises and schedules tasks so they can be performed within budget
and with the efficient use of time and resources.
• Measures progress and monitors performance and results.
• Achieves goals in a timely manner, despite obstacles encountered, by organising,
reprioritising and re-planning.
• Translates objectives into specific plans.
• Sets goals and objectives relevant to the function and focuses on the
• Attends to and manages multiple tasks and details by focusing on key priorities and
delegation to others.
• Identifies and allocates resources.
• Develops contingency plans for potential problems.
• Co-ordinates work efforts when necessary to produce deliverables.
11.Managing interpersonal conflict
and resolving problems
• Views opposing parties as equal partners in terms of their right to express their own
• Patiently listens to and makes an effort to understand other viewpoints.
• Acts calmly and rationally in conflict situations with empathy and self-detachment.
• Demonstrates a willingness to see things from the other’s point of view.
• Enthusiastically accepts and promotes change.
12.Network and building bonds • Builds and maintains alliances and networks of citizens/customers, colleagues and
interest groups inside and outside the Ministry and Department.
• Shares with colleague’s information obtained through participation in joint projects.
• Utilises informal opportunities to go to official gatherings or task forces or gains
access to the most useful development opportunities.
• Builds visibility by improving quality of work, publicising work, teaching and
developing others, communicating skills and “standing out from the crowd”
• Recognises the people who should be part of your network and the contribution
they can offer.
• Develops good working relationships with people so that they reciprocate, based on
a good knowledge of your work quality, knowledge and a high degree of trust.
• Leverages own strengths more productively by making alliances with others who
have skills that are different yet complementary by finding new skills and new ways
13.Budgeting and Financial
• Develops own work-unit budget and manages the unit’s finances as required in
terms of the PFMA.
• Interprets the requirements of the PFMA and provides advice on existing financial
• Promotes adherence to government policy and overall financial function.
• Reviews and monitors budget to ensure that the required financial procedures are
adhered to and all monies are accounted for.
• Monitors, in a broad scope, compliance with policy.
a) Interprets specifications, technical designs and flow charts.
b) Builds, maintains and modifies the code for software applications.
c) Constructs technical specifications from a business functional model.
d) Tests and writes technical documentation.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Matric / Grade 12
Bachelor’s Degree MIS, CIS, Computer Science, Data Science,
Informatics or Business Analytics
•At least 5 years of experience as a Full Stack Developer or
•Familiarity with databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL,
MongoDB, SQL), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
•Experience with web development and/or data-driven
•Business analysis experience
1.Stakeholder Engagement •Maintain contact with users to analyse system performance
•Provide training support and consult with users to discuss
desired output and user expectation.
•Consult with information systems staff regarding system
design, problems and developments and other related
•Help other staff with system design phase of new
2.Strategic Alignment •Contribute to and deliver on system operations goals to
ensure strategic alignment with INSETA.
3. Compliance and Risk Management •Write and maintain program and system operations
documentation for users and operators.
•Assure documentation contains steps to initiate programs
and routines to remedy interruptions in program runs.
4.Continuous Improvement •Design and modify existing programs and data structures.
•Provide for proper maintenance of assigned programs.
•Perform analysis and modification of existing programs and
operations to meet changing needs and to provide for system
5.System Design and Analysis •Design, program, code and analyse new computer programs
•Data structures in accordance with specifications and user
needs, including screen formats and job control language
procedures in accordance with programming standards.
•Reporting and dashboard production.
6.System Maintenance and Administration •Maintain file structures used in programs.
•Maintain flow charts or narrative description of program
flow, purpose and operation.
•Maintain current knowledge of developments, issues and
advancements in data processing equipment and software.
7. Quality Assurance •Examine output data from program operations to verify and
assure accuracy and completeness of data.
•Test and de-bug programs to assure reliability of program
The responsibilities contained in this document are not necessarily exhaustive and the employer is entitled to instruct the employee to
carry out additional duties or responsibilities which may fall reasonably within the ambit of the position profile or in accordance with
SPECIALI PROJECTS AND /OR FOCUS AREAS
Analysis, development, and implementation of the MIS system.
Resources Provided • Laptop Computer
• 3G Card
• Landline telephone
• Access to internet
The performance agreement of the incumbent, which attributes specific targets to the above mentioned outputs would be
developed based on this Job Description and the Strategy / APP.
INSETA is an equal opportunity employer and preference will be afforded to candidates in
terms of our Employment Equity Plan.
Please forward your application letter supported by your CV and qualifications to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the position you are applying for clearly stated.
Closing date: 19 August 2021
INSETA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
No late applications will be accepted