We’re looking for a journalist in our Johannesburg office who has a passion for storytelling, a desire to be brilliant and the ability to produce beautiful copy. You must be able to produce relevant, compelling and factually correct content for YOU’s various platforms and must be able to write on a broad range of subjects.
WE WANT SOMEONE WHO CAN
- Write gripping stories for YOU’s print, digital and other platforms
- Produce high quality work within tight deadlines
- Find stories nobody else can and wow the news editor with awesome suggestions
- Maintain networks with sources and subjects to ensure we get the best local stories in various verticals
- Check every fact more than once
- Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code
- Build a network of contacts to ensure YOU gets the best scoops
- Be enthusiastic and energetic and want to take the brand to new heights
- Show a passion for storytelling and excellent journalism.
WE NEED YOU TO
- Be able to write fluently in English
- Be comfortable in print and digital environments
- Be willing to work on whatever platform related to the brand as required by the editorial director
- Be super creative and unendingly curious
- Be able to work in a Content Management System
- Be able to handle pressure
- Be flexible and adapt to a constantly changing media environment
- Organise your workflow so it works well for you and the team you work with
- Show great judgement when it comes to stories
- Have great attention to detail
- Be able to work with a team and impress those you engage with
- Make good decisions that will benefit the brand
- Never give up, never settle for less than 100%
- Think on your feet and make a plan when things go wrong
- Be able to go the extra mile to get the story.
YOU MUST HAVE
- A diploma or degree in journalism, languages or media studies
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a mainstream newsroom
- Excellent general knowledge
- An understanding of the YOU market
- An established network of contacts
- A driver’s license.
Closing date: 26 July 2021
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.