People’s Post, a division within Media24 has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, dynamic journalist. The successful candidate will be required to produce relevant, compelling and factually correct news and feature content for the publication. This position will be based in Bellville.
- Diploma or degree in journalism
- Experience in writing for a local newspaper.
- Good general knowledge of particular target market of the publication.
- Knowledge of topical issues and current affairs.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proficient in relevant computer software packages and application thereof.
- Passion for media and knowledge of current affairs.
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to write in Afrikaans and English.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure and adhere strict deadlines.
- Good time management and the ability to multi-task effectively and follow through.
- Sound news judgement.
- Detail and quality orientation.
- Good people skills.
- Good decision-making abilities.
- Persistence/results orientation.
- Questioning and listening skills.
- The ability to work independently.
- Resilience and initiative.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Write quality, hyper local news and feature articles, adhering to strict deadlines.
- Take quality photographs to accompany articles
- Generate feature ideas.
- Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code.
- Generate and liaise with a network of contacts to assist with research or completion of articles/features.
- May be required to complete layout and other production related tasks and produce content for online and other platforms.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.