Direct Reporting Line:
Varsity College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE). The IIE enjoys the reputation of being at the forefront of private higher education in South Africa and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) to provide higher education qualifications accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
The IIE’s Varsity College Pretoria campus has a vacancy for a Junior HR Officer (Academic).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Independent Contractor (Lecturer) Administration Management
- Responsible for the day-to-day administrative management of the campus Independent Contractor payroll.
- Keeps the Academic Support Co-ordinator updated at all times and collaborates them on the Lecturer appointment process to ensure that the process is streamlined and all audit and policy/process requirements are met prior to any Independent Contractor Agreements and related Annexures being issued or work being offered or carried out.
- Performs background screening checks including; ID verifications, qualification verifications, professional membership (where applicable), passport and visa verification (where applicable) and criminal checks for new Independent Contractors and ensures that any unfavourable results are reported to the Head: Academic and National HR department for guidance prior to any work being offered to the Independent Contractor.
- Attains two references for new Independent Contractors and notifies the head: Academic of any unfavourable feedback to ensure that unsuitable candidates do not progress further in the recruitment process.
- Drafts all Independent Contractor Agreements and Annexures for the campus once all required checks and processes have been followed.
- Schedules appointments with the Authorised Signatory for Independent Contractors to sign the Independent Contractors Agreement at the beginning of the year/semester or when they start.
- Liaises with the relevant parties to arrange photocopy codes and biometrics for new Independent Contractors.
- Hands new and returning Independent Contractors the required payroll documentation as per the P15 Engagement Checklist to complete before the monthly deadline.
- Checks the completed pack of forms that the Independent Contractor submits for processing to ensure that it is completed correctly, that all supporting documentation is attached and that the entire pack of forms meets the audit standards.
- Ensures that the relevant payroll forms are uploaded in the HR & Payroll System under the file manager for each Independent Contractor and their details are loaded correctly in the HR & Payroll System (Personal Info, IC Agreement details etc.).
- Ensures that all Independent Contractor Agreements and Annexures meet the required company and audit standards.
- Follows up on any queries and outstanding documentation from the Independent Contractor packs before filing relevant originals and copies on campus in an orderly manner.
- Oversees the original national approval and tracking processes on campus for Independent Contractors in line with the Foreign National Guidelines, and ensures that no offers are made prior to receiving pre-approval from National HR and that any work offered does not extend beyond the passport /or work permit expiry date.
- Ensures that timesheets deadlines are communicated to all Independent Contractors at the start of the year/semester and reminders are sent on a monthly basis.
- Trains all new Independent Contractors on the HR & Payroll System Timesheet process and assist with any timesheet related queries.
- Checks that Independent Contractor P18 payroll reports are correct, by liaising with Head: Academic and other relevant team members, on a monthly basis to ensure that the correct tax has been deducted for Independent Contractors and all claims are reflected accurately on the report.
- Ensures that the P18 form is signed by the Campus Head together with the correction schedule (if applicable) and that they are submitted to the National Human Resources/ Payroll team timeously.
- Assists Independent Contractors with any payments/payroll related queries and escalates unresolved queries to the National Human Resources/ Payroll team if need be.
- Advises on, and assists Independent Contractors with the relevant payroll and supporting documentation required to update their details (e.g. change of address or banking details etc.) in the HR & Payroll system when changes are required and ensures that these changes are processed accurately and timeously.
- Advises and guides Independent Contractors on the company payroll forms and requirements.
- Communicates any payroll related information to the Campus Independent Contractor team.
- Monitors and ensure the correct and up-to-date version control of Independent Contractor related payroll related documentation on campus.
- Maintains and orderly filing system (including both hardcopy files and files saved in the HR & Payroll File Manager System) that is up-to-date and contains all Independent Contractor documentation in line with company and audit requirements.
- Communicates important announcements/ news/ updates to the Campus Independent Contractor team and all other relevant parties as and when required.
Campus Synergy And General
- Collaborates with all relevant departments on campus to facilitate optimal performance within the portfolio or scope of duties.
- Campus specific ad-hoc administrative duties.
- Assists the National Office Human Resources team with Independent Contractor payroll related projects.
- Provides relief cover/support for the campus Junior HR Officer or HR Officer as or when required.
- Complies with The Protection of Personal Information Act legislation relevant to the role.
- Advanced administrative and organisational skills
- Computer and system proficiency
- Problem solving/solutions driven
- Strong Communication
- Ethical/ strong level of integrity
- Good timekeeping, multitasking and prioritisation skills and ability to meet strict deadlines
- Best suited to a friendly, organised, logical and methodical person who works accurately and has high attention to detail and is able to handle pressure.
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Minimum of a National Diploma/ Advanced Certificate (NQF Level 6). However, candidates in their final year of studies (Level 6) who are currently employed in the company will be considered for the role.
- Advanced Diploma/ Degree advantageous.
Minimum Work Experience Requirement:
- Minimum of 2 years HR Administrative/Payroll experience, ideally within a tertiary academic environment.
- Driver’s License and own transport