Main purpose of the role:
Compile relevant, compelling and factually correct news and content for a daily news summary in Afrikaans. May be responsible for a particular section of the content, assisting the team in whatever is required including liaison with client teams as well as visual sourcing.
(The primary tasks, functions and deliverables of the role)
- Compile and research bulletins for both Netwerk24 and Landbouweekliks.
- Write quality copy, adhering to strict deadlines;
- Create target-market-specific articles;
- Adhere to the quality , style and content standards as laid out and required by the particular publication;
- Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code;
- Generate and liaise with network of contacts to assist with research or completion of articles/features;
- Assist with visual sourcing;
- Assist with administrative requirements;
- Stand in if other team members are unable to work;
Skills and competencies
(The abilities that the individual needs to perform this role effectively)
- Able to write fluently in the languages required by the publication
- Pressure resilience
- Planning and organising
- Sound news judgement
- Attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills
- Good decision-making abilities
- Results orientation
- Diploma or degree in journalism, languages or media studies.
- Experience writing for a mainstream newspaper or magazine.
- Good general knowledge.
- Knowledge of particular target market of the publication
- Knowledge of topical issues and current affairs; Valid driver’s licence.
- Proficient in relevant computer software packages and application.
- Passion for media, knowledge of current affairs.
- Established network of contacts.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.