Star bar & Café has exciting opportunities available for X3 Kitchen Assistant to be based at Umhlanga, Durban. The incumbent will take responsibility for basic food preparation, assisting chefs with dishing up of food and presentation, whilst ensuring that the housekeeping is in line with Star bar & Café standards. Responsible for kitchen stock count, ensuring the kitchen stock is stored and maintained appropriately. Together with these functions the incumbent will be required to be a cashier.
- Food and Beverage experience.
- Ensure appropriate dress code in in with health and safety requirements and in accordance with Star bar & Café standards.
- Inspect and clean food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices and ensure conformance to established standards.
- Inspect kitchen stock- all food, spices, etc. Recommendations to defrost freezers as and when required.
- Ensure all kitchen stock is well maintained, packaged and allocated to the correct area- shelves, freezers etc.
- Ensure stock rotation and ensure expired food is disposed of and classified as waste.
- Leftover food from the previous day is dished into appropriate containers and appropriately stored for serving.
- Ensures preparation of food in readiness for chefs for all manufactured menu items as per GAAP.
- Dish up orders in accordance with GAAP portion sizes as per waitron orders.
- Ensures that all orders are prepared and dished up timeously to ensure exceptional customer service
- Ensures presentation of orders is in line with Star bar & Café standards.
- Reports any operational problems (faulty/damaged equipment) that could hinder daily operations.
- Assisting of reporting of all stock items to the Chef on items that are running low.
- Ensures that all wastages and breakages during the shift are disclosed and accounted for.
- Ensures the cleaning of kitchen appliances, work surfaces, floors and walls as and when the need arises
- Ensures that the kitchen and cooking area is left neat and tidy prior to the next shift.
- Continuously monitor the kitchen area to ensure that the kitchen is clean and tidy.
- Responsible for kitchen stock count.
- Stock Reporting on back of house stock: daily report indicating issued stock, receiving/ordering/GRV of stock, transfer of stock between branches if applicable, stock disclosure of breakages/wastages.
- Management of the store man/stock clerks. Ensure that stock control is always maintained. Manage the portioning of stock into containers.
- Ensure timeous submission of daily, weekly, monthly F&B stock reports.
- Capture stock on GAAP system.
- Complete voids on POS.
- Attend to customer query and complaints.
- Required to be a cashier.
- Understand all cash up policies, and cash handling procedures.
- Any ad hoc duties that might be required.
Skills and competencies:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- High level of integrity, trustworthiness and reliability.
- Good numeracy and stock analysis.
- Ability to take initiative whilst adhering to company policies and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent time management.
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining efficiency and professionalism at all times.