The Legal Practice Council (LPC) is currently embarking on a process to fill the role of a Legal Officer: Risk & Compliance in the Northern Cape.
About the Company
The Legal Practice Council is a national, statutory body established in terms of section 4 of the Legal Practice Act, No 28 of 2014. The Council regulate the affairs of and exercise jurisdiction over all legal practitioners (attorneys and advocates) and candidate legal practitioners.
Qualifications & Experience
- Matric/Grade 12 Certificate.
- Law Degree
Knowledge & Experience
- Admission as a Legal Practitioner
- 2 years Post Admission experience in a Legal environment or in a Professional regulatory environment;
- Knowledge of Legal Practice Act, No 28 of 2014;
- Section 109 Regulations;
- Code of Conduct for all Legal Practitioners & Court Rules
How you can make a difference?
▪ Communication ▪ Attention to Detail ▪ Interpersonal ▪ Accuracy ▪ Problem solving ▪ Critical thinker ▪ Prosecution ▪ Deadline Driven ▪ Research ▪ Integrity ▪ Time management ▪ Multi-tasking ▪ Writing ▪ Team player & ability to work under pressure ▪
- Conduct investigations on legal practice compliance in accordance with forensic procedures and methodologies;
- Prepare a report on findings and submit to the line manager for review;
- Ensure investigations are carried out within the allocated time-frame;
- Present findings to disciplinary hearings, Court and Council;
- Give evidence at disciplinary hearings and Court;
- Attend to all follow-ups arising from decisions made;
- Provide feedback to legal practitioners;
- Administer the winding up of practices of members that have been suspended, struck or are deceased, in accordance with court order; this is inclusive but not limited to risk assessments, collection and handling of client files, claims procedure and liquidation of trust account, costs, general attendances (e.g. criminal prosecution);
- Termination of curatorship;
- Handle claims lodged against the trust account;
- Administer trust accounts of suspended, struck or deceased members;
- Identify level of risk for handover;
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders i.e. liquidators, banks, AFF, etc. to supply all files and relevant documentation;
- Query Handling;
- Administration and staff supervision.
Additional Information & Application Process:
- Kindly submit a recently updated comprehensive CV;
- Copies of all qualification(s) (Matric & Legal Degree)
- Admission Certificate must be attached),
- Copy of ID and driver’s license (where applicable).
- Suitable candidate(s) will be subjected to personnel suitability checks (criminal record check, citizenship verification, qualification/study verification and previous employment verification).
- Please note that correspondence will only be limited to shortlisted candidates, if you do not receive any response within 30 days from the closing date of the advert, consider your application not successful.
- Ref No: NC03/2021