Life Orientation Specialist Teacher (IEB) – Grades 8-12
|Remuneration:||negotiable negotiable depending on experience|
|Location:||Cape Town, Claremont|
|Job policy:||Employment Equity position|
|Company:||Herschel Girls School|
Herschel Girls School is adopting the IEB NSC qualification effective 1 January 2022 and is looking for an innovative and progressive teacher who seeks the opportunity to be part of a dynamic and excellent staff and school, committed to creating a happy, safe and vibrant educational environment, responsive to change.
The successful applicant will be a qualified teacher with up-to-date knowledge of this highly responsive and relevant subject. We are looking for a person who is willing to use this space to engage with the students across topics and issues that contribute to a nuanced social awareness and that enrich the concept of social responsibility and citizenship.
A letter of application, accompanied by a comprehensive CV, three contactable references and proof of SACE registration, as well as a Police Clearance certificate, must be sent to Mrs Heather Vaughan at the following email address target=”_blank by Friday, 10 September 2021.
Herschel Girls School, in line with POPIA (Protection of Personal Information Act), will attempt to ensure the confidentiality of all applicants for this role. All reasonable measures will be in place to protect personal information but will be used in the recruitment, selection, and reporting process. By submitting your application for this position, you are recognising and accepting this disclaimer.
Please note no faxed applications will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The following competencies are essential in the candidate we seek:
- An appropriate teaching qualification, including SACE registration. (A four-year degree/diploma with relevant qualifications)
- Preference will be given where there is proven experience of teaching Life Orientation at Grade 12 level (within the IEB)
- Evidence/demonstration of talent and passion for teaching Life Orientation, through excellent relational skills which allow for the development of a safe, inclusive, exciting teaching environment and a genuine duty of care towards students
- A flexible, innovative and progressive approach to teaching Life Orientation through aligning the subject with the school’s transformation objectives, being responsive to equity and belonging and in this way being fully committed to the school’s strategic change objectives
- Be comfortable not relying on a textbook, but instead be creative, highly responsive and enjoy sourcing materials that address the myriad topics and issues that arise in our society, community and school and that inform growth and awareness with respect to good citizenship
- Be able to inspire and motivate students
- Be willing to work within a blended learning environment, able to integrate new teaching technologies and be open to new teaching methodologies
- A team player who demonstrates a capacity for leadership
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- To hold at heart the school’s tagline of learning to make a difference
Herschel Girls School, founded in 1922, situated in Claremont, Cape Town, is an inclusive independent Anglican school for girls from Pre-Nursery to Grade 12 which welcomes pupils and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Herschel is committed to transformation and is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that gives preference, where appropriate in accordance with its Employment Equity Plan, to candidates from the designated groups. The School reserves the right not to make an appointment. Failure to meet the requirements of the advertised post will result in applicants automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration.
Apply by email