Masifundise is a civil society organisation with a long track record in the small-scale fishing sector. Its aim is to promote and advance human rights and Food Sovereignty in small-scale fishing communities in South Africa, and globally.
Masifundise empowers fishers and community-based activists to become agents of change in order to achieve the objectives of the organisation.
Masifundise has an exciting Media and communication internship aimed at strengthening our capacity and programmes through enhanced internal and external communication.
The intern will have the opportunity to experience and learn about working in a civil society organisation with a long track record in the social and environmental justice sector, and be exposed to field activities and policy processes at national and international level.
- Assist with producing and updating the Masifundise website and social media with relevant content
- Assist the Programme Officers in producing a portfolio of audio-visual resource materials
- Assist the Programme Officers in the development and production of our newsletter (FishersNet) and other popular education material targeting inland and coastal small-scale fishing communities
- Keep abreast with contemporary developments in these sectors
- Assist in public relations work, including preparing and issuing media statements.
- Expand social media footprint of MDT on twitter, Facebook, Instagram and youtube
- Assist team with archiving of MDT media content
- Source written, audio and visual content to be used on MDT platform
- Must be in possession of, or in the process of completing of an Honours or Master’s Degree) in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Science or a related field or relevant experience
- Writing skills in English and at least one other South African language (Afrikaans, IsiXhosa or, IsiZulu is preferred)
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office package)
- Previous knowledge and use of WordPress, Mailchimp and graphic design tools like Canva is preferred
- Understanding of the usage of social media for Civil Society organisations
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Confidence and strong communication skills
- Be creative and pro-active
- Organisational and time-management skills
- Ability to work in a team and under pressure and demonstrated willingness to learn new things
- Proven commitment to social justice
A stipend will be provided.
All positions will be located in Cape Town, South Africa and South African labour laws will apply.
To apply, please submit a CV and motivation letter with at least two contactable references, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the position you applying for as the subject line.
Closing date: 12 July 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The internship starting date is 1 August 2021.