A mining house in Rustenburg producing precious metals is looking for a Technical Assistant that has the legal ability with the 2.6.1 appointment in terms of the MHSA section 26 of 1996.
The main responsibility of this role is to assist the General Manager in the control, management and direction of the works within a specified area of responsibility
Education and Experience Requirements
- Mining degree or diploma or equivalent.
- Mine Manager Certificate of competency.
- Mine Overseer’s certificate of competency.
- Valid blasting certificate
- 5 years post qualification experience in mining
- Previous Mine Overseer experience in conventional and trackless hard rock mining is essential.
- Sound knowledge to integrate with Rock Engineering, Safety & Health. Legislation, ventilation, geology and planning disciplines
- Sound knowledge pertaining to people management
- The understanding of and experience in asset management principles around mining, equipment and associated operational / maintenance
- standards /philosophies will be required
- Previous experience of contractor management
- Previous infrastructure development experience
- Implement safety and health systems and ensure operational compliance in accordance with the MHSA as per the legal appointment.
- Focus on compliance to standards and best operating practice in health, safety, environmental. Leads toward a culture toward zero harm.
- Establish effective risk and change management processes to control complexity and interaction of mining, construction and other activities within
- the project. Ensure environmental and social concerns are managed as a strategic focus area within the mining section.
- Investigating incidents/accidents and property damage.
- Ore reserve management – ensure optimum extraction of ore taking into account all factors i.e. cost, safety health etc.
- Ensures site work is completed in adherence to the Safety, Health and Environmental Plan and the company’s SHE standards and systems.
- Review, approve and implement mine plans and schedules from Mine Planning and Technical teams, developing short range execution plans and tactics to ensure high compliance delivery to plan.
- Effective management of mining contractor performance, ensuring high operating performance standards, productive use of equipment and
- resources, and an uncompromising approach to Safety.
- Ensure effective management of TMM maintenance and work management performance standards and effectiveness of the mining contractor to company Standards.
- Apply mechanised mining experience in support of equipment review and selection.
- Advise and provide input into issues pertaining to mining and construction; design, scheduling, performance standards, cost saving initiatives, procurement (equipment and materials), tactics and actions to resolve potential problems.
- Act as the custodian for innovation, technology and best practices at section level
- Plan and coordinate production and construction in line with business plan.
- Liaise with cross-functional teams in order to optimise production and construction.
- Mining process planning, preparing and breaking predetermined blocks of ground, efficiently and safely.
- Review and introduce mining best practices to enhance performance efficiencies over long term
- Liaising with consultants, EPCM and own employees to ensure a common understanding of the goals and driving the tactical plan to achieve the desired results
- Scheduling of Logistics support requirements within agreed parameters
- Ensuring production targets are met and maintained in line with the mine plan
- Maintain healthy and transparent relationships and rapport with key stakeholders, including contract workers, DMR and unions.
- Effective Short Interval control processes used to manage a disciplined approach to mine forecasting, execution performance and compliance to plan and schedule. Establishes a high performance and compliance, high reliability work culture within the Mining Contractor and mining Owners Team.
- Develop and maintain an integrated team approach between the Owners Teams, Mining Contractor, EPCM, Suppliers, internal and external company stakeholders.
- Manage the priorities, budget, interfaces and administration of the site team and supports the business plan as required.
- Implement and maintain sound people management and development practices to ensure a productive workforce
- Interpret strategic objectives and needs across disciplines in the micro and macro environment to ensure the availability and management of funds.
- Constant drive and challenge for continuous improvement in performance outcomes, productivity of equipment and people, supported with enabling technologies, modern mining practices using a systems-based approach.
- Ensure production targets are achieved cost-effectively and safely on a sustainable basis for the section.
- Develop and execute the strategic vision/ plan for the section) and directly assist the Mine Manager in the tactical management process via transformational/effective leadership.
- Conduct ad-hoc projects as required. Some recent projects are listed below:
- Contractor Operational Readiness
- Lead operational readiness for Contractor
- Guide and advise Contractor on best practise and safety
- Responsible for development, construction and stoping within section
- Establishing new section and controlling ramp up to full production