DAG: Post Graduate Intern
Development Action Group
Development Action Group (DAG) is a leading non-profit organisation working throughout South Africa to fight poverty and promote integrated urban environments. Over the last three decades, DAG has developed a wealth of experience in working with poor and marginalised communities. DAG supports communities in need of adequate housing to lead and engage with their own development and influence State policy. DAG has an established and successful track record in land negotiation and acquisition processes, in-situ informal settlement upgrading and the implementation of community-led housing developments.
DAG seeks to appoint a Post Graduate Intern to be based in Cape Town.
The successful applicant will be working alongside DAG’s experienced, professional staff by:
- Assisting in conducting research and design related to housing, land, and urban development
- Assist in facilitation of socio-technical support for community partners across Cape Town
- Providing planning and other technical input in the development of participatory and pro-poor human settlements proposals, land development strategies and participatory planning
- Co-ordinating and/or performing tasks related to the collection and processing of data, including co-facilitation of community meetings, participatory planning workshops/ meetings
- Assisting with general organisational administration
The successful applicant will ideally have:
- A background in the Built Environment, with a minimum post graduate degree qualification, in Architecture, Planning, Property Economics, Development Studies, Engineering etc.
- An interest in learning more about and working in the different programmes of DAG.
- Commitment and passion to contribute to addressing the many urban development challenges.
- Commitment and passion to work with communities facing poverty and structural inequalities.
- Dedication to working hard and learning as much as possible.
- Strong independent work ethic as well as ability to work as part of a team
- Good project administrative skills and proficiency in MS Office 365.
- The ability to work remotely during COVID-19.
- Fast learner and willing to learn new skills.
- The ability to speak two regional languages (ideally).
Apply for this position by emailing your motivational letter, CV with 2 contactable references, and at least one written academic report to email@example.com.
DAG is an equal opportunity organisation, values diversity and pursues employment equity.
Preference will be given to female, black and specially-abled candidates.
No relocation costs will be covered. This is a paid internship