The purpose of this position is to ensure achievement of business objectives, managing and expanding existing client base, cold calling, setting and achieving sales targets and revenue growth generated through personal performance, ensure that best management practices are followed in all areas of responsibility regarding equipment sales procedures and actions, ensuring a customer-oriented service and to implement and uphold actions in line with company strategic vision.
Key Performance Areas:
(Essential Duties & Responsibilities)
To perform this job successfully, the appointed individual must be able to perform each essential duty / key performance area satisfactorily. This list of key performance areas is not exhaustive and may be changed/supplemented to accommodate business needs from time to time:
• Overall responsibility to set and accept accountability to achieve unit sales, growth and profitability
targets in an assigned sales territory.
• Overall responsibility to meet new sales growth/market share increase objectives; responsible to
analyse, prepare and successfully implement a strategy to target and convert opposition accounts.
• Overall responsibility to ensure the quality of customer interaction and service (develop and implement
strategy to ensure proper/scheduled cover of assigned sales territory, developing partnerships with
and tailor-made solutions for clients; evaluation of own development needs and ensuring lack of
knowledge/skills are addressed).
• Sound financial management of deals in line with budget and company strategy (ensure the quality of
rental business activated is in line with company objectives; ensure order take targets, invoicing
targets and GP targets are met, the stock turn is controlled, ensure key administrative support functions
are diligently executed, e.g., delivery and collection of contracts; ensure discounts are approved /
within limits; ensure site inspections are carried out etc.).
• Plan, prepare, submit and ensure achievement of New Equipment Sales targets for sales territory
• Preparation and presentation of reports as and when required.
• Overall responsibility to ensure administrative procedures is followed correctly.
• Drive customer service excellence & ensure good relations and communication with customers.
• Participative responsibility to grow the department in line with company requirements.
• Ability to develop and implement operational innovation.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills Education / Training and Experience Requirement(s):
• Proven, successful track record and experience in Forklift Sales; 10 years’
experience in a similar position.
• Excellent work ethic – honest, reliable, hardworking, dedicated, takes pride in work carried out.
• Dedication to service excellence in every aspect of work carried out, strong focus on internal and
external customer service.
• Ability to take customers through the sales process; must have the experience and skill to structure
and present sales solutions at all levels in an organisation; ability to sell to senior decision-makers with
confidence and authority – ability to manage an account on all levels.
• Ability to interpret product differentiators and leverage product a competitive edge.
• Ability to negotiate on a win-win basis in a spirit of cooperation and collaboration.
• Strong financial/numerical ability; sound understanding of business and economic principles.
• Sound knowledge of developing new business/targeting and converting opposition accounts.
• Proven entrepreneurial skills (adding value by doing business smartly and efficiently) & development,
communication, and implementation of sales strategies.
• Strong decision-making skills & ability to use initiative and assume responsibility.
• Highly developed prioritising and multi-tasking skills; must be proactive with a strong sense of urgency;
problem-solving and decision-making skills; must be able to function effectively under pressure.
• Must be a team player with the ability to contribute to a positive team environment, to contribute to
building common ownership of commitment to group goals, shared vision and problem-solving; must
be committed to building relationships within all levels of our organisation.
• Ability to grasp and interpret goals and vision and to communicate it / implement strategies effectively
with evident improvement.
• Excellent organizational/administrative / group dynamics facilitation and interpersonal skills, strong
written and verbal communication skills – ability to relate to and be accepted by people.
• Ability to adapt to and accept change, new ideas, new challenges.
• Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Knowledge Requirements:
o English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including
the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
o Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing
customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality
standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
o Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of electronic equipment, and computer hardware
and software, including applications and programming.
• Required Skills:
o Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to
understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at
o Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related
o Time Management — Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
o Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Human Capital Area Sales Consultant Page 3 of 5
o Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
o Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of
alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
o Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and
future problem-solving and decision-making.
o Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
o Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations
to make improvements or take corrective action.
o Service Orientation — Actively looking for ways to help people.
o Social Perceptiveness — Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react
as they do.
• Required Abilities:
o Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented
through spoken words and sentences.
o Written Comprehension — The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented
o Written Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will
o Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will
o Speech Clarity — The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
o Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
o Speech Recognition — The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
o Information Ordering — The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern
according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures,
o Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It
does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
o Category Flexibility — The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or
grouping things in different ways.
o Number Facility — The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
o Mathematical Reasoning — The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas
to solve a problem.
o Selective Attention — The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being
• Work Activities:
o Interacting with Computers — Using computers and computer systems (including hardware
and software) to set up functions, enter data, or process information.
o Getting Information — Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all
o Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to
supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
o Performing Administrative Activities — Performing day-to-day administrative tasks such as
maintaining information files and processing paperwork.
o Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and
cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.
o Processing Information — Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or
verifying information or data.
o Documenting/Recording Information — Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or
maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
o Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize,
organize, and accomplish your work.
o Performing for or Working Directly with the Public — Performing for people or dealing directly
with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores and receiving clients
o Communicating with Persons Outside Organization — Communicating with people outside the
organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other
external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or
o Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events — Identifying information by categorizing, estimating,
recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
o Scheduling Work and Activities — Scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the
work of others.
• Work Styles:
o Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
o Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling
o Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
o Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work.
o Concern for Others — A job requires being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings and being
understanding and helpful on the job.
o Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with
little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
o Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling
anger, and avoiding aggressive behaviour, even in very difficult situations.
o Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with
o Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
o Social Orientation — Job requires preferring to work with others rather than alone and being
personally connected with others on the job.
o Adaptability/Flexibility — Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to
considerable variety in the workplace.
o Dedication to service excellence in every aspect of work carried out, strong focus on internal
and external customer service.
o Strong analytical ability: ability and suitable experience in compiling reports utilising and
analysing various data sources and presenting them in a user-friendly format.
o Excellent interpersonal skills, including very strong verbal and grammatically correct written
English communication skills.
o Must be proactive; ability to prioritize and successfully complete multiple tasks timeously;
ability to see a project through from start to finish.
o Impeccable, friendly, and professional telephone manner and in general when dealing with
customers both internally and externally.
o Ability to function effectively in a group and add value to the team/environment.
o Ability to interact with senior management, excellent communication skills with people at all
levels in an organization.
o Must have an excellent work ethic – honest, reliable, hardworking, dedicated, takes pride in work
o Must be of sober habits, have high energy levels and general good health.
o Ability to adapt to and accept change, new ideas, new challenges
Preferred Knowledge, Skills Education / Training and Experience Requirement(s):
• Experience working on the Kerridge system
Required Certificates, Licences, Registrations:
• Grade 12 / Matric + relevant tertiary qualification / experience
• Code EB / 8 driver’s licence
The current number of employees reporting directly to this position:
Impact of Decisions / Actions to Company:
• Customer service perceptions and satisfaction
• Building of long-term partnerships/relationships with key clients
• Profitability of cash and rental sales
• Achieving set new business objectives, unit sales and profitability targets
Interdependence with other departments at branch level:
• This position will require interaction with all departments within the branch