Professional Nurse (NIMART: School Based HIV and GBV Prevention
Type: Permanent ☒ Fixed Term ☐ Temporary ☐
Main purpose of the job:
To initiate PrEP, manage SRHR client needs, screen for TB and NCDs,
provide HIV Counselling and Testing (HCT) and manage minor ailments
in support of achievement of School Based HIV and Violence
prevention programme targets; to lead the community-level team in
the implementation of the programme, and in quality improvement
activities to ensure quality of care for HIV/TB clients ( youth and adults)
Location: Buffalo City (Eastern Cape)
Closing date: 24 September 2021
Submit detailed CV to: Vacancy15@wrhi.ac.za
number: EM008- 21
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable
applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and
subsequent amendments thereto.
Key performance areas
• Screen patients on HIV in all services provided at the mobile clinic.
• Refer clients who test HIV positive to supporting partners or DOH for ART initiation after initial review
• Assess clients who come for services and facilitate up and down referrals if unable to provide on
• Screen, diagnose and prescribe appropriate treatments for STI’s and minor ailments as per PHC
• Counsel, screen and Initiate PrEP according to DoH guidelines as per district target
• Review PrEP clients as per district targets and manage as per guidelines including side effects.
• Ensure all relevant blood results are followed up within 3 working days and actioned within 24
hours if abnormal and require repeating or referral
• Support counsellors and linkage officers in adherence issues and loss to follow up patients
• Assist with SOP’s that will improve the running of the mobile clinic e.g. up -referral SOP.
• Ensure universal health precautions are followed including maintaining cleanliness of mobile van
in keeping with COVID-19 protocols
• Work with the district manager, clinical mentor and other nurses to plan a tailored approach to
meeting targets within the district.
• Work with the DM,CM and other PN on QIP when targets are not being met.
• Monitor and review the implementation and progress of the programme work plans in
conjunction with relevant stakeholders in absence of district manager and clinical mentor
• Review challenges and achievements.
• Track changes made that lead to improved outcome measures for targets.
• Integrate feedback from quarterly reports into programme implementation plan and subsequent
• Ensure comprehensive completion of clinical data on clinical form to ensure less than 5% of files
have missing clinical information..
• .Utilising tick sheets and other capturing tools, compile accurate daily, weekly and monthly
reports to the Clinical mentor on work conducted.
• Keep accurate records of commodities and stock usage daily
• In the absence of the clinical mentor or when delegated to; complete the following duties:
o Monitor and document temperature in medicine room
o Maintain stock card in medicine room/cupboard
o Provide monthly stock reports by the 5th of the month
• Order commodities from facilities or head office when required
• Take ownership and accountability for tasks and demonstrates effective self management.
• Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and
• Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback.
• Take ownership for driving own career development by participating in ongoing training and
development activities such as conferences, workshops etc.
Required minimum education and training
• Relevant Nursing diploma or equivalent
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
• Essential: Certification/experience in sexual and reproductive health (particularly
contraception and STI management); and HIV prevention and management. Sound
technical knowledge of PEP, PrEP, ARV, TB-HIV integration, treatment and care infectious
• Desirable: Knowledge of national, provincial and district health structures.
• Experience working in a donor funded organisation / NGO or project-based environment and
desirable to have experience working with schools and institutions of higher learning.
• Knowledge of clinical systems and data management.
• Exceptional organisational and administrative skills together with working knowledge of
• Ordered and systematic in approach to tasks.
• Attention to detail.
• Pro-active, able to exercise discretion and independent decision-making.
• Able to prioritize own workload and work towards deadlines.
• Self motivated, able to work independently and work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Able to speak other African languages.
Required minimum work experience
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in public health and Nimart certificate or at least 2 years
managing ART clients and in the process of getting NIMART certificate; dispensing licence.
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please send an email to
email@example.com. The subject heading of the email must read EM008-21 and the job title of
position applying for. Please include the following documentation:
• A cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for
• A detailed CV