JOB DESCRIPTION: PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR
(Closing Date: 12 November 2021)
The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based
in Johannesburg, South Africa is an internationally recognized health research group which conducts research
and analysis on issues of public health importance, including a strong focus on HIV, TB, and NCDs. HE2RO seeks
to build the evidence base to improve health policies and programmes in South Africa and the region. We
collaborate on policy relevant research with Boston University and other national and international
organizations. For more information visit our website at www.heroza.org.
We seek a dynamic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated Project Co-ordinator to be part of our Administration team.
The successful applicant will support a portfolio of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) grants, assist with
financial and administrative tasks and ensure that compliance, reporting and financial deliverables are met
The position is based at HE2RO’s Head Office in Johannesburg but may require but may require travel within
South Africa. Overtime/weekends hours will be required from time to time. This is a full time position.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Assist with proposal budget development as well as budget monitoring, post award
• Assist with inception processes new BMGF grants
• Liaise with the Legal Department on contractual issues and ensure compliance with organizational and
• Manage procurements and travel logistics for all BMGF grants, ensuring that all projects have the resources
that they require
• Manage Petty cash and credit cards for BMGF grants and complete monthly reconciliations for same
• Work with the Grant Accountant to review financial reports, ensure correct allocation of shared costs and
all other expenses to respective BMGF grants. Ensure compliance with BMGF financial reporting
• Liaise with sub awardees and ensure that reports and invoices are submitted, as required
• Produce monthly financial analysis and summaries, as required
• Distribute financial reports to PIs, Prime organisations and Funders timeously
• Assist in addressing financial queries pertaining to BMGF grants
• Provide support during internal and donor financial audits
• File all legal and financial documents
• Assist with HR functions pertaining to BMGF project teams, as necessary
• Perform other grant management and administrative tasks, as needed.
• Minimum certificate in Finance Administration, Business administration, Bookkeeping, Administration or
• Minimum 5 years working experience in finance, operations or administration, preferably in a health-related
research environment or an NGO environment
• Experience in budgeting, procurement, petty cash management and financial management is essential
• Experience working with BMGF grants will be an added advantage
• Advanced skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
• Ability to synthesize a broad range of information in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple tasks
simultaneously, set priorities, and manage own time effectively
• Ability to work under pressure and maintain a level head and a high level of professionalism
• An outstanding level of attention to detail
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• High level of integrity and confidentiality in sensitive matters.
• Ability to liaise with stakeholders and staff at all levels
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Valid Driver’s license
• If not a South Africa citizen, the candidate should be eligible for a work permit in South Africa.
Applicants should email a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. HE2RO will only respond to short listed
candidates. Our organisation maintains a Mandatory COVID-19 requirement and as such only COVID-19
Vaccinated incumbents will be considered for positions. The closing date for this position is 12 November 2021.
Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications
unsuccessful. HE2RO reserves the right not to fill this position should it deem it necessary not to. This position
will remain open until filled