CWS: Project Officer
CWS proposes to implement a three year job training and livelihood program for 1,460 refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable South African citizens facing systemic obstacles to employment and integration. The overarching goal for this program is to increase self-reliance and resilience in each noted group, and to build cohesion within communities where there are emerging tensions with contributing factors being a lack of employment and productive work. CWS will meet its objectives through the following key activities; Case management, Self-Reliance Workshops, Language Training, Small Business Entrepreneurism Support: – Integration of refugees and asylum seekers within the employment sector by Liaise for Employer Partners and Networking Activities for Employers and Small Business Entrepreneurs, Establishment and Management of Employment Help Desks: Outreach and Advocacy.
Based in either Johannesburg or Durban, South Africa – Church World Service seeks to appoint a
Reporting to the Project Manager, this position will be responsible for day-to-day implementation of project activities at the field offices in Johannesburg or Durban. The project officers will be based in Johannesburg and Durban, South Africa.
The Project Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Work with the Project Manager to implement CWS Self-Reliance and Community Integration (SRCI) for Refugees, Asylum-Seekers and Other Vulnerable Populations Groups of KwaZulu Natal and Gauteng Provinces in South Africa
- Work with the Project Manager in identifying refugee and host community members to participant in the program
- Assist the Project Manager in preparing a training employment readiness workshop for urban refugees and host country citizens
- Project Officer will be responsible to assess current job readiness, skills, experience, employment goals and professional gaps
- Project Officer will use this information to build out customized Employment Success Plans for participants that include additional programmatic activities listed below.
- Project officer will identify participant soft skills that can be further developed, such as punctuality and demonstration of good stewardship of resources at the place of employment.
- Provide employment case management services per month to every refugee and host country citizens involved in case management, with the guidance and oversight of the Program Officer
- Develop individual employment readiness plans with clients, and maintain client information and case files in accordance with CWS Standard Operating Procedure, with the guidance and oversight of the Project Officer.
- Provide guidance and support to refugees and asylum seekers in one-on-one meetings with them in the Urban Refugees Self Reliance Help Desk
The Project Officer must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field of study (e.g., Administration, Business Management, Law, Social sciences) or four years of related work experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Five years of paid work experience is required.
- At least two years of prior work experience in a related field (e.g., social services, business development, labor relations, case management)
- Prior experience working in a NGO, CBO, UNHCR or community services office is required
- Prior experience working with refugees or asylum seekers and/or knowledge of local laws regarding asylum and refugee protection in South Africa and the correct interpretation of these laws in the country
- Prior experience managing and/or working on PRM funded programs
- Knowledge of local employment conditions and workplace norms; existing relationships with local businesses, employers federations or chambers of commerce is preferred
- Prior experience as a trainer or facilitator is preferred
A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel. The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. A clear MIE background check is required before the start of employment. Must be legally eligible to work full time in South Africa.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday September 17th 2021 to email@example.com