Responsible for the assisting in the management of the Property. Assist in ensuring maximum income of Property through effective property management. Responsible for collecting monies owing in respect of properties managed by the company. Responsible for performing collection activities associated with various accounts. Reviews accounts, determines probable reasons for account status, and contacts clients to resolve the delinquencies. Utilises various techniques, as circumstances indicate, to promptly collect on accounts. Ensures that the Company’s professional image is maintained.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
1. Assumes responsibility for the effective and professional performance of collections functions.
a. Receives, reconciles and control production of monthly rent rolls and reports from the computer system and verifies the status of the accounts.
b. Follows up on accounts by telephone, personal contact, and correspondence to secure a satisfactory resolution to the repayment problem. Discusses possible financial arrangements, informs clients of potential legal actions, and suggests financial counseling to arrive at suitable payment arrangements. Continues to collect until the account becomes a write-off, bankruptcy, or attorney account. Makes early contact with clients to collect and keep them informed of account status.
c. Utilises effective human relations skills and various forms of persuasion to present a positive Company image in an already negative situation. Calms irate clients and answers questions and complaints relevant to Department functions. Determines reasons for delinquencies and works toward permanent solutions. Minimizes losses by early actions.
d. Utilises further appropriate collection methods if initial attempts do not secure required payment. Recommends extensions of due dates. Suggests consolidations and financial counseling.
e. Posts approved extensions and notifies clients of new due date by mail.
f. Performs collections efforts in accordance with Company policies and procedures and ensures they are legally compliant.
2. Assumes responsibility for the efficient administration of collections activities.
a. Keeps accurate and up-to-date activity reports on late, potentially late, and accounts.
b. Documents all collection actions taken, including telephone conversations, alternative financial arrangements, and correspondence on computer.
c. Researches accounts that appear on late and potentially late records to ensure that Company errors are detected promptly. Provides clients the opportunity to fully explain their account status.
d. Ensures both monthly and ad-hoc rental and fee statements are sent out timeously.
e. Controls and monitors tenant payments in terms of rentals, deposits, lease fees, stamp duties etc.
f. Liaises with tenants as appropriate
g. Handles rental queries efficiently and diplomatically
h. Queries tenants’ short payments
i. Ensures the daily receipting and processing of tenant payments
j. Liaises with book keeping and accounting staff re bank account deposits, queries and mis-allocations
k. Generally ensures that:
• Rent (and other charges) are paid by the 1st of each month
• Letters of demand after the 3rd to defaulting tenants
• Summons’s are issued after the 21st day to defaulting tenants
• Controls and administers legal processes for the recovery of lease charges due and/or eviction of tenants
• Motivation and processing of write-offs
3. Assumes responsibility for timely and accurate preperation and submission of management reports.
a. Preparation of detailed debtors reports and graphs illustrating weekly and monthly collections:
• Weekly/monthly arrears against billings (debtors day calculations)
• Monthly graph of weekly collections against previous month/year
b. Preparation and submission of attorneys’ reports on all legal matters
c. Daily Receipting on tenant accounts
d. Journal entries and corrections to tenant accounts to ensure updated tenant statements are presented to tenants
e. Reconciliation of bank statements (where appropriate) and tenants’ accounts
4. Assumes responsibility for ensuring that professional business relations are established and maintained with clients and external contacts.
a. Maintains the Company’s professional reputation throughout collections operations and in all contacts with clients.
b. Maintains confidentiality.
c. Develops contacts with credit bureaus and other financial institutions. Uses shared information to effectively minimize Company losses.
5. Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication and coordination with Company personnel.
a. Assists area personnel as needed.
b. Keeps management informed of activities, progress toward established objectives, and of any significant problems.
c. Attends and participates in meetings as required.
6. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
a. Stays informed of changes in collections policies, procedures, and related legal requirements.
b. Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
1. Problem accounts are closely monitored and reviewed.
2. Appropriate collections actions are instituted which are in accordance with established Company policies and are legally compliant.
3. Outstanding ccounts are promptly collected. A delinquency ratio which meets management standards is maintained.
4. Professional business relations exist with clients. Clients are properly assisted with their financial problems and their questions are courteously answered.
5. Required reports and records are accurate and timely.
6. Good working relations exist with area personnel and with management. Management is appropriately ` informed of area activities.
7. Compilation and capture of electricity and water readings.
EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION: Matric with Bookkeeping
3 Years related experience
Essential own transport
Prior experience in property related field would be recommended but not a requirement
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of collection procedures and related laws and regulations.
Understanding of Company policies.
Familiar with default and enforcement clauses.
SKILLS/ABILITIES: Excellent administration abilities.
Able to organise, co-ordinate, and direct team activities.
Good communications and grammer skills.
Able to use all related equipment and computer applications.