AVI Ltd. is known for its leading household brands across many categories including: hot beverages, sweet and savoury biscuits and snacks, frozen convenience foods, personal care products, cosmetics, shoes, accessories, and fashion apparel.
NATIONAL BRANDS LIMITED operates 5 manufacturing sites, offering world class manufacturing facilities in Isando (Johannesburg), Rosslyn (Pretoria), Westmead and Durban (KZN). It is home to some of the best-known South African tea, coffee and creamer brands, including our delicious range of much-loved savoury and sweet biscuits, and our melt-in-your-mouth snack range.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Quality Assurance Supervisor at NATIONAL BRANDS LIMITED Isando Coffee and Creamer factory. The purpose of the role is to manage the Quality Control Technicians on a day-to-day basis, and to provide the QC Technicians with the means and ability to effectively carry out duties prescribed to them. This role is also responsible for assisting the Quality Manager in all Quality and Food Safety related tasks involved in the Quality and Food Safety Management System and has to correlate and co-ordinate all quality data in order to highlight deficiencies and institute necessary action. The management of in–process and final product quality as well as consumer complaints investigations and reporting.
Line Manager: Quality Assurance Manager
Number of Direct Reports: 15
Key Performance Areas:
- Draw up shift schedules and delegate responsibilities and duties to Quality Control Technicians so that the department runs smoothly, with even distribution of workload throughout the shift
- Assume additional responsibility in the absence of the Quality Assurance Manager
- Collate Quality reports in the QA Managers Absence
- Ensure registers and labour control documents are completed for all direct reports.
- Evaluate and report to QA Manager on any problem areas or discrepancies in respect of QC Technicians tasks for plant/ process procedures
Control of non -conforming product
- In conjunction with relevant personnel, isolate non-conforming product.
- Ensure all H.F.I (Held for inspection) product is adequately sampled.
- Ensure that decisions re H.F.I. product are completed within 72 hours
- F.I area maintained efficiently and all product accounted for in respect of necessary work
- Report of HFIs in daily MDT meeting
- Facilitate investigations on quality issues picked up during the shift
- Ensure all non -conformances raised for finished product problems are closed off within the agreed time frames.
Customer complaints handling
- Manage the Investigation of customer complaints with multidisciplinary teams, ensuring that complaints are closed off within given time frame.
- Management of the roll out of any action plans
- Compile weekly complaints reports.
- Compile monthly complaints reports.
- Carry out training for staff when issues are identified
- Generate product trends from Shopware
- Liaise with QC technicians to verify accuracy of results on Shopware
- Report all non-conforming results to the Shift Manager and raise non-conformances on these
- Ensure correct frequency of quality checks are carried out and captured on Shopware.
- Action non-conformances picked up during Shopware checks
- Ensure QC Technicians capture all quality checks on the Shopware system
- Close inspection lots on SAP
- Ensure warehouse checks are conducted and non- conformances are actioned.
- Compile finished product COA’s when required
- Involved in product withdrawals and recalls
- Ensure samples are collected and are available at all sensory sessions
- Ensure sensory is carried out every shift
- Samples are checked re packaging, sealing and date coding integrity
- Ensure sensory documents are completed and filed
- Ensure shelf life monitoring program is in place
- Report any noted deviations from the program
- Ensure the procedure for obtaining colour standards are current and valid
- Lead the process for setting colour standards
- Train all relevant staff on the measurement of colour and on the setting of colour standards
- Review of the visual quality standards when required
- Attend KVI sessions at Head Office
- Ensure/drive closeout of findings from the sessions
Control of quality lab measuring equipment.
- Calibrate Quality Assurance measuring and test equipment as per the schedule and procedure against in-house standard
- Ensure all quality laboratory equipment is maintained in good order
- Arrange for timeous repairs of non – functioning equipment
- Capex documents around new equipment for the lab.
- Ensure all rapid equipment are validated, monitored and verified on defined frequencies
- Ensure availability of training program and train quality control technicians on relevant quality checks/equipment
- CCP training and ensuring that test cards are available at all times.
- Conduct induction in absence of food safety technician.
- HACCP team member
- Part of mock recall team
- Effective document control: correct revision of documents in use
- Conduct verification audits when required to
- Support during R&D and Packaging trials
- Attendance to Planning & Production Meetings
- Be part of the internal audit team
Hygiene and Housekeeping
- Conduct GMP and process audits on allocated areas
- Ensure all QC Technicians carry out their cleaning inspections on a daily basis on required areas
- Highlight areas of concern to managers when necessary.
- Assist with micro swabs taken from plant and workers when requested
- Facilitate the implementation of 5s in the QC laboratory
- Ensure CIP for all towers is verified
Management of Co-manufactures/packers
- Ensure regular meetings and or visits are carried out
- On time feedback on pre-shipment samples and bulk
- Collate monthly reports from co-manufacturers/packers, analyse reports and report any deviations noted
- Manage NCR’s from/to co-manufacturers/packers and ensure identified gaps are closed on time
- At least 3 years’ experience within the Food Industry as a Quality Assurance Supervisor or similar position
- Supervisory experience
- National Diploma in Food Technology or Bio-Technology
- Further Courses, Certifications and/or Professional Affiliations in Quality Management would be advantageous
- Sound communication skills – verbal & written
- Good problem solving skills
- Knowledge of FSSC22000, AIB GMP inspection
- Knowledge of SAP
- Knowledge of Shopware
- Microsoft Excel
- Problem solving skills
- GLP (Good Laboratory Practices)
- ISO 17025
- Thinking Rationally
- Building Relationships
- Thinking Analytically
- Influencing Others
- Setting Directions
- Meeting Deadlines
- Minimising Risk
- Attention to Detail