Job title: Research Assistant Intern (12 Months)
Type: Permanent ☐ Fixed Term ☒ Temporary ☐
Main purpose of the job:
Day to day performance of research related activities including but not limited
to administration, data collection, quality control and recruitment/retention
Location: Wits RHI- 7 Esselen Street, Hillbrow -Research Centre
Closing date: 10 September 2021
Submit detailed CV to: email@example.com
Advert reference number: LM – 016MAF
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants
from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments
Key performance areas
• Become familiar with project/topic area through literature reviews.
• Participate in project related activities (including but not limited to administration, data collection, quality
control and recruitment/retention activities)
• Promote studies by conducting presentations and distributing brochures during recruitment activities.
• Assist with networking with stakeholders.
• Write reports on above mentioned activities and project updates.
• Assist with writing reports to funders and writing grant reports.
• Schedule appointments with participants and collect data.
• Obtain informed consent from study participants.
• Ensure that ICF and relevant source documents are completed and signed correctly
• Ensure quality data capturing.
• Assist with transcription and translation as needed.
• Ensure data quality. Be up to speed with any errors or increasing errors.
• Ensure storage and archiving of data according to SOP’s (electronic and hard copy data)
• Publish, disseminate and present findings/results to stakeholders.
• Participation in all appropriate research related meetings (internal and external)
• Ensure adherence to study protocols, GCP, and local requirements for the ethical conduct of research in
• Support the team with any other research related activities.
• Attend relevant external and internal meetings
• Maintain participant files and filing systems.
• Complete relevant project administration as and when required including but not limited to participant
• Document team meetings as and when required.
• Compile weekly reports on activities, progress etc
• Comply with Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Protocol requirements and Standard Operating Procedures
• Verify accuracy of data in source documentation and accuracy of transcription from source data to
Case Report Forms (CRF) as needed
• Ensure errors on source documents e.g., CRF’s are corrected, initialled and dated.
Support the timely data entry/transmission/data faxing of relevant Case Report Forms following QC
activity (as needed)
• Ensure completion of corrective action of internal and external QC reports and monitoring reviews.
• Assist with staff training (and retraining) where error trends are identified
• Take ownership and accountability for tasks and demonstrates effective self management.
• Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and
• Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback.
• Stay abreast with developments in research.
• Take ownership for driving own career development in attending training and development sessions and
• Attend training and development sessions such as the social science forum, journal club, seminars, writing
series workshops etc, offered by the institute and Wits University.
Required minimum education and training
• Tertiary degree
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
• Confidentiality, tact and discretion must be maintained at all times.
• Ability to manage self and prioritize own workload.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Stress Management.
Required minimum work experience
• Experience working in a research environment would be advantageous
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The
subject heading of the email must read LM – 016MAF and the job title of position applying for. Please include
the following documentation:
• A cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for
• A detailed CV