A well known underground mining house based in Limpopo is looking for a Safety & Sustainability manager to Manage the implementation, application and monitoring of SHE legislation and standards for the broader Mine, in accordance with the Group’s strategic objectives.
Purpose of the Role
Purpose of this role is to ensure compliance with the duties of the manager as contemplates in the MHSA, the Regulations promulgated in terms of MHSA S98 (hereinafter referred to as the MHSA Regulations or MHSAR) and the Regulations under the Minerals Act No 50 of 1991 (hereinafter referred to as the “MA Regulations or MAR”), which remain valid and in force under item 4 of Schedule 4 of the MHSA (as amended from time to time) in so far as the functional areas of responsibility.
- The role is a legal appointment in terms of the MHSA S3.1 (a) to be responsible for day-to-day management and operation of the Mine.
- Deliver strategies to deliver step-change performance across the Safety, Health and Environmental departments.
- Coordinate risk management in respect of all operations of the mine, provided that the relevant appointed persons, appointed in terms of the MHSA are responsible for the implementation thereof in respect of their own areas.
- Develop and manage integrated Safety, Health and Environmental management systems to ensure achievement of objectives, by establishing and implementing approved short, medium- and long-term plans, aligned to the company’s strategic business goals.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Safety, Health and Environmental management programme, including training and awareness, identify opportunities and threats and formulate plans to enhance the participation of management in achieving the company’s Safety and Health goals.
- Revise Safety and Health standards and required documentation on an ongoing basis to ensure compliance to current legislations.
- Overview and ensure that Plans are developed to sustain systems (In conjunction with other Departments)
- Liaise with outside stakeholders with regards to permissions, exemptions and legal liability.
- Keep abreast of developments within the industry and legal environment. Determines the impact of changes and develop policy and strategy amendments in order to comply.
- Conduct required audits and inspections and coordinate external audits to enhance best practice
- Investigate all serious and critical incidents and associated follow up action strategies and implement medium- and long-term plans to prevent similar occurrences.
- Review and analyse available resources and resource efficiencies to ensure available capacity at each operation
- Design and implement programmes to enable the operations to identify high risk exposures to property, legal liability and personal losses.
- Develop, manage and implement a risk management system, that includes new projects and advise and ensure compliance with Safety and Health Risk Management factors and legislation. The system must ensure that risk mediators are implemented that comply with applicable insurance standards and current legislation.
- Provide guidance on SHE related matters, including hazard/aspect identification, risk assessment/management and risk/impact control, with emphasis on the management of long-term risk
Minimum experience & qualifications required
- Recognised Scientific /Technical Degree (NQF Level 6) plus a formal qualification in Safety, Health or Environment combined with practical experience
- Registration with a South African professional (SH or E) institution would be advantageous
- Business qualification (MBA, MBL, MDP, LDP) would be advantageous
- Experience statement should include reference to:
- At least 8-10 years operational Safety, Health or Environmental experience at a managerial level
- Understands SHE resources, risks and opportunities and applies this knowledge to pre-empt and manage issues and to create solutions
- Creates and embeds solutions to positively impact SHE, minimise future risk and encourage individual accountability
Behavioural skills required
- Effective collaborator across boundaries to influence and co-create solutions and outcomes
- Well-developed relationship building with key stakeholders to achieve required outcomes
- Facilitate agreement and co-operation using a diplomatic and open approach
- Natural ability to operate with a high level of autonomy
- Displays tolerance and resilience
- Self-motivated with ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions towards design and implementation of systems and process optimisation