A subsidiary of Econet Global, Liquid Intelligent Technologies is the leading independent data, voice and IP provider in eastern, central and southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite and international carrier services to Africa’s largest mobile network operators, ISPs and businesses of all sizes. It also provides payment solutions to financial institutions and retailers, as well as award winning data storage and communication solutions to businesses across Africa and beyond. Put simply, we connect people.
We started out by questioning the way things are done and being single-minded in our determination to improve them. Everything we do is driven by a simple yet powerful belief that everyone in Africa has the right to be connected. Over the last decade, this vision has helped us change the face of communications in the region.
Our future-focused approach to new product development makes our services enduringly adaptable.
We have to focus on services of the future and new revenue streams not as a side show to infrastructure but as the main show leveraging off the infrastructure which we have. – Nic Rudnick
Our flexible and dynamic business model keeps us at the forefront of telecoms innovation. And by listening to customers, we ensure that our solutions are constantly evolving to meet their needs. In June 2017, Liquid Telecom raised $700m in a bond and term-loan issue that will help Liquid Telecom refinance debt and provide a war chest for further acquisitions.
At the very core of our business is our belief that every individual on the continent has the right to be connected. We believe that the power of technology will create better and brighter lives for everyone.
We’re for everyone – Being connected shouldn’t just be for the privileged few. We believe it’s for everyone and this was recognised at the AfricaCom Awards 2013 when we won an award for Best Cost Efficiency Solution. The sense of doing the right thing runs through every aspect of our business.
Integrity – Having integrity in everything we do has made us what we are today. We are all encouraged to play our part and take responsibility for doing things right and doing the right thing.
Only The Best Will Do – We’re constantly striving to deliver the best communications technology to everyone from the smallest communities to the biggest businesses in the region.
Dont Talk Do – We listen carefully to our customers, then we deliver beyond their expectations. This can do’ attitude is key to our success.
In It For The Long Run – We’ve invested heavily in our own network and technology. We created the largest single fibre network in the region, which stretches over 18,000km across borders to connect people locally, nationally and internationally. We’re not stopping there we’re continuing to invest so we can connect people all over Africa.
The Satellite Control Centre (SCC) Engineer supports the SCC Technician and Manager roles in maintaining quality satellite services provided by Liquid Telecom. To accomplish this the role has the following responsibilities:
Use of management systems to monitor service availability through Liquids teleport and network infrastructure and 3rd party networks. With the aim of providing pro-active and re-active fault identification, 1stand 2nd level support and/or escalation to Liquids network or regional support teams and Managers as required.
Assist and collaborate with Liquids network or regional support teams and suppliers in resolving faults impacting satellite services.
Technical direct customer contact to provide resolutions and/or updates to customers service problems and queries. Accomplished through telephone calls, email with all details of correspondence and fault progression recorded within the fault ticketing system.
Assist with the installation, configuration and commissioning of existing and new teleport systems to manufacturers specifications.
Conduct site visits to customer premises or remote Liquid locations for fault investigations, training and service demonstrations.
Carry out and develop the following via feedback to the Managers and platform engineers:
New satellite service configuration and implementation
Routine SCC duties and maintenance
Service and system performance reports
Service diagrams and supporting documentation
Planned maintenance notifications
Minimum Requirements of Job
Formal Qualifications Required
- Relevant graduate qualification (National Diploma or Degree in Engineering or appropriate NQF level qualification
Role Related Experience Required
- Experience in a Telecommunications company – 5 years
Role Related Knowledge Required
- Excellent understanding of Satellite principles
- Excellent understanding of IP networking principles
- Excellent understanding of iDirect and or Dialog VSAT hub systems
- Understanding of Microsoft and Linux operating systems
- Proficient in use of test and measurement equipment for fault investigation
Role Related Skills/Competencies Required
- Excellent knowledge in the use of computers and office software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French and English
- Work extended hours on occasions when required
- Willingness to work as part of a 24/7 shift cycle when implemented in future
- Customer Relations experience
- Calm personality and polite telephone manner
- Valid drivers license
System monitoring and 1st and 2nd line support
- Use of monitoring systems to ensure that service SLAs are maintained
- Perform 1st level and 2nd level troubleshooting to ensure that service SLAs are maintained
Customer Service and Fault Recording
- Direct customer contact for all queries and fault investigation, resolution and escalation
- Record all actions undertaken during fault investigations within fault ticketing system
Teleport System Installations and Site Visits
- Assist with the installation, configuration and commissioning of new teleport systems
- Conduct site visits to customer premises or remote Liquid locations
Operational Support Assistance
- Produce service and system performance reports
- New satellite service implementation
- Service diagrams and supporting documentation
- Routine SCC duties and maintenance
- Planned system maintenance notifications
- Use of monitoring to pro-actively and re-actively identify service problems
- Interaction with customers to notify of service problems
- Fault escalation
- 24 x 7 monitoring of all Liquid satellite services on or off network
- 24 x 7 direct customer contact for all service-related matters
- 24 x 7 1st and 2nd level fault investigation
In line with our company transformation policies, preference will be given to EE candidates.