Khanya College: Senior Finance Office
Khanya College is an NGO based in Johannesburg, South Africa. Khanya College’s commitment to social justice work, in particular in working class communities, includes the recognition of the importance financial accountability within Khanya College and in the organisations that Khanya College serves. Khanya College is looking for an individual with interest in social justice with finance management skills to fill a vacancy for the position of Finance Officer to perform the function outlined below within Khanya College and in its associated organisations.
Khanya College seeks to appoint a Senior Finance Officer to be based in Johannesburg.
Starting date: (latest) 04 January 2021
Salaries: The salary range for these positions, depending on position, experience and skills, is R105 000 to 126 000 per annum (depending on experience and skills) Total Cost to Company (inclusive of medical aid contribution).
The duties of this position are:
- Recording of all financial transactions using standard electronic accounting software
- Control of Purchasing cycle including preparation of cheques, payment of accounts and reconciliations
- Control of Income cycle including preparation of invoices, statements, collections and reconciliations
- Maintenance of project-based accounting records
- Maintaining cash, creditor, debtor and payroll subsidiary ledgers
- Record keeping and filing
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Maintaining asset register
- Assist the Coordinator of Finance Department with preparation and provision of financial reports to the College & Programme Coordinating Team, The Finance Committee, The Board of Trustees, Programme Coordinators (project reports) and donors.
- Assistance with preparation of budgets and monitoring of budgets.
- Assist in development of systems, policies and procedures, particularly in relation to project budgets, funding and reporting, and ensure they are maintained
- Assist Programme employees with budgets and project reporting
- Management of financial transactions, systems and reports for sister or associated organisations
- As and when necessary supervise interns in the Finance Department
- Petty Cash
- Manage petty cash and petty cash disbursements on a daily basis
- Perform, check and approve Petty Cash reconciliation on a daily basis
- It is a requirement for all staff to be involved in the marketing of the organisations.
- It is a requirement for all staff to travel in the course of their duties from time to time and if necessary to make use of their own vehicles for this purpose.
- It is a requirement for staff to make themselves available for out of town travel from time to time. This may take the form of local or international travel.
- Any other duties that may arise from time to time and may reasonably be expected from an employee in your position
- Understanding of financial administration and bookkeeping, especially in NGO environments
- Be computer literate (Excel spreadsheets, word processing and email)
- Be competent in the use of electronic project based accounting/ bookkeeping systems (QuickBooks is preferred)
- Experience in budgeting and planning
- Have a capacity for and commitment to meticulous detail required in finance work.
- Disciplines and able and willing to take instructions.
- Have the ability to interact appropriately and comfortably with senior and junior colleagues, donors and the public
- Driver’s License will be an advantage.
- Black women are encouraged to apply.
- Qualifications and Experience: post matric professional training/qualification and three to five years’ experience of financial administration and/or management, preferably in donor funded or project based organisations.
- Candidate must be prepared to work a 6-day week.
Khanya College offers:
- A vibrant and progressive working environment
- Working relationships with diverse communities and other NGOs, locally, regionally and internationally
- A position with career development options into senior management positions, educational work on financial literacy training, and other career paths within the College.
- Diverse exchange with the public and partnering stakeholders through a wide range of educational and activities and cooperation projects of the College
Eligible candidates will notified & interviewed at Khanya’s offices in Johannesburg
Please use this link below to send a letter of motivation & your CV: https://forms.gle/U1AtLabGUR7Lo4JbA