SENIOR LEGAL ADVISOR
EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL ADVERT
TO SANRAL Staff / External (www.nra.co.za)
REPORTS TO Head of Legal
SANRAL Head Office, 48 Tambotie Avenue, Val de Grace, Pretoria
The Senior Legal Advisor will assist with the development and help execute a Legal and
Compliance strategy and roadmap that articulates how the strategy will be achieved and
how it supports the overarching business strategy. Oversee and assist with the execution
of the legal compliance capability including SANRAL’s legal compliance policy,
management plan, risks, training schedule and non-compliance register.
• LLB Degree
• Must be Admitted Attorney of the High Court of SA, Member of the Law
Society/LPC, Member of the Bar Association of Advocates, SA.
• At least 10 years minimum relevant experience.
• At least 5 years managerial experience with a minimum of three years in a
leadership environment or exposure to it.
• Ability to travel as and when required.
• LLM and specialisation by experience would be advantageous.
• Knowledge and understanding of the local government landscape and the
regulatory and legislative operating environment.
• Knowledge and understanding of a wide scope of legislation which includes:
• South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited Act
• National Treasury’s Regulations,
• Constitution of the Republic of South Africa and all other related legislations
• Knowledge and understanding of engineering- specific legislation with which
SANRAL has to comply, especially the FIDIC suite of contracts
Legal and compliance strategy development and execution
• Assist with the development and help execute a Legal and Compliance strategy
and roadmap that articulates how the strategy will be achieved and how it
supports the overarching business strategy.
• Assist with the establishment of measurement criteria to monitor implementation
and provide input in updating the public relations strategy and roadmap based on
Corporate and engineering legal advisory
• Drive the provision of internal legal advisory services in relation to various
regulations and areas of expertise, including labour and employment regulations,
construction and engineering, real estate, procurement and SCM and
environmental legal advisory.
• Provide, and direct the provision of, legal advisory services regarding real estate
issues such as planning and development, land use, tenant debt, transfer duties
and deeds registration.
• Provide, and guide the provision of, legal advisory services and counselling on
legislative issues pertaining to procurement and SCM in the public sector.
Legal execution and litigation
• Resolve, and guide the resolution of, SANRAL issues and/or disputes through
negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation methods, as required.
• Resolve, and oversee the resolution of, litigation instances including pre-suit
negotiations, arbitrations, facilitations, and appeals as they may arise.
• Resolve, and guide the resolution of, engineering and construction-specific
claims including delays, price acceleration claims and change of work claims.
Ethics and legal compliance management
• Oversee and assist with the execution of the legal compliance capability
including SANRAL’s legal compliance policy, management plan, risks, training
schedule and non-compliance register.
• Apprise, and ensure the apprising of, the business of relevant legislative and
policy developments and ensure conformity with these through internal
communications and through providing input on compliance-related training.
• Review and interpret regulations and legislation that SANRAL needs to comply
with and help ensure that processes are designed with ethics and compliance in
Management of services, SLAs and service provider
Assist with the development of a knowledge management training policy, plan
• Oversee and assist with the development a contract and legal document
• Assess the extent to which outside counsel is required and ensure that SANRAL
uses fit-for-purpose legal specialists.
Guide and assist with the monitoring and management of outside counsel
EMPLOYMENT REFERENCE CHECKS
Employment reference checks are a requirement as part of SANRAL’s recruitment and
selection process. In order for SANRAL to conduct these checks a consent form needs to
be completed and signed by the applicant. As an applicant of this position, you authorize
SANRAL to process all the information provided for the purpose of your application for the
position as well as the verification and record keeping of such credentials.
Please note that this is a confidential document and is intended for internal use by
SANRAL’s Human resources department only.
Appointments will be made in accordance with SANRAL’s Employment Equity plan.
SANRAL reserves the right not to fill any position
Closing date for applications: 11 December 2020
Please submit your CV to:
HR Department: SANRAL Head Office
For and on behalf of:
Executive responsible for Human Resources
Job Specification approved by responsible Manager: Sinomtha Linda
Signature: Date: 30 November 2020