2021 Setswana (Second Language) Teacher
- Ormonde, Gauteng, South Africa
- Full Time
- Teaching – Pre-Primary and Primary School
- Entry Level
Nova Pioneer is looking for superstar Setswana Teachers to teach Setswana Second Language at our school in Ormonde, South Africa. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic teacher to empower students using an enquiry-based learning approach and to be a part of an innovative network of schools that is developing generations of innovators and leaders who will shape the African Century.
About Nova Pioneer
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorising content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future━we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school. Nova Pioneer uses a unique, enquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 10 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
About the Role
We are looking for an amazing Setswana Teacher to teach Foundation Phase in 2021. Teachers lead instruction and planning for subject- or grade-level classrooms and are responsible for driving a rigorous, enquiry-based learning environment the Nova Pioneer way. Teachers are supported by Deans of Instruction who partner with them in their growth journey – working full-time to empower teachers’ development by observing lessons and providing consistent feedback and coaching. Teachers also support and mentor Apprentice Teachers. See below to learn more about the teaching model at Nova Pioneer.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Work closely with learning designers to design impactful lessons
- Deliver impactful and engaging enquiry-based lessons supported by technology to enhance instructional delivery
- Observe, coach and be a model teacher for Apprentice Teachers
- Infuse joy and passion for learning into lessons so that students are excited about and invested in their academic excellence
- Set and communicate rigorous and ambitious goals for all students and provide student feedback so they internalize it
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student progress. Use assessment data to adjust instructional content and delivery techniques accordingly
- Attend weekly feedback meetings with Deans and learning designers to enhance teaching practices
- Fully participate in opportunities for professional growth including daily team meetings and reflections, weekly professional development meetings, instructional coaching, and organisation wide learning and reflection
- Communicate regularly with parents through e-mail, telephone and parent-teacher conferences
- Contribute to and participate in co-curricular programming for at least one activity in the course of a term
- Participate in a variety of collaborative teams and committees, fulfill supervision duties as assigned, including some morning, evening and weekend events
Skills and Qualifications required:
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Education (B.Ed) or Bachelor’s Degree + Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- SACE registered (Kindly provide registration number and certificate in application)
- Experience in teaching Setswana or have Setswana as a major in your last year of University
- Experience and/or understanding of Cambridge curriculum objectives would be an advantage
- Ability to lead a classroom independently, with experience in a classroom (practicals included)
Key attributes to succeed in the role:
- You love teaching and care deeply about the success of each and every student
- You have an understanding of and passion for enquiry based, student-centered learning
- You have a deep understanding of children and you know how to connect with the specific age group that you teach
- You are deeply committed to your development as a teacher and welcome constructive feedback, translating feedback into improvements and innovations in your approach and in your classroom
- You are able to work within a team-based environment and collaborate with other resident teachers, apprentice teachers and deans
- You communicate openly and effectively with your colleagues
- You are adept at using technology for instruction
How to Apply:
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, then apply now!
To apply, please complete the form on the right hand side of this page. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.
About Teaching at Nova Pioneer
Nova Pioneer teachers don’t lecture, they lead discussions and facilitate projects that help students engage deeply and think critically about course material. There are two types of teachers at Nova Pioneer: Resident Teachers and Apprentice Teachers.
Resident Teachers are able to lead classrooms and, depending on the grade level they are teaching, have strong content knowledge. Resident Teachers are typically qualified teachers with classroom experience or have a strong ability to lead a classroom independently .Centralised lesson planning supports teachers to enable them to deliver rigorous enquiry-based learning and to engage deeply with students to help the on their individual learning journeys.
Nova Pioneer welcomes professionals who are looking to make a career change into education and are passionate about pursuing a new career in teaching.
Working at Nova Pioneer
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary. We offer consistent and ongoing personal development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning. Read more about our culture principles here.