The Hope Exchange: Shelter Supervisor
The Hope Exchange
The Hope Exchange (formerly known as The Carpenter’s Shop) has been operating from Roeland Street in the Cape Town CBD since 1981 and helps the homeless with a comprehensive and integrated range of social services that improves the lives of those living on the street, facilitates human development and leads to reintegration and reunification.The Hope Exchange helps the homeless to help themselves.
The Hope Exchange seeks to appoint a Shelter Supervisor to be based in Second Phase Residence, Geoff Burton House (GBH).
Commencing Date: 1 September 2021.
They improve the lives of those with no other choice but to live on the streets, restoring dignity and facilitating personal growth. Our aim is to reintegrate clients back into society or reunify them with family by providing holistic social care and driving awareness for the cause.
The incumbent’s core responsibilities are to ensure the smooth running and efficient operation of GBH to meet the organization’s strategic and operational objectives.
Key Performance Areas:
- Facilitate screening, intake and discharge of shelter clients.
- Facilitate life skills education groups.
- Maintain professional client relations.
- Ensure client adherence to the code of conduct, rules and regulations.
- Management and monitoring of shelter operations.
- Adherence to relevant health, safety and security requirements.
- Perform required administrative duties.
Required Competencies and Experience
- A qualification in Social Auxiliary Work or Child & Youth Care Work.
- Registered with SACSSP.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate computer proficiency.
- Experience in shelter supervision will be advantageous.
- A strong background in, or an understanding of the NPO sector will be beneficial.
- Knowledge and understanding of the homeless phenomenon essential.
- Strong administration, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Action orientated and results driven.
- Willing to work shifts – nights and weekends.
- Please quote “SS AUG’21” in the subject line, or on any application correspondence.
- Email your application in the form of a brief introduction (less than 1 page) with attached CV to HR@thehopeexchange.org
- Should you not receive any feedback from us within 2 weeks of the above closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The Hope Exchange reserves the right not to proceed with an appointment.
For more about The Carpenter’s Shop, refer to thecarpentersshop.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies