A well known EPCM turnkey solutions provider to the mining & mineral processing sectors is seeking for a Site Agent
Purpose of the Role
You will manage the implementation and delivery of a Project against safety, time, quality and cost standards and has a definite emphasis on the practical, technical and commercial management of a project. Fulfils the link between the Contracts Manager and operational team. The Site Agent is responsible for all on-site activities, including organising work and making sure all key materials are delivered on time.
- Execute project responsibilities in line with organisational strategy in order to achieve set goals.
- Report to Contracts Manager or Project Manager on operational and project performance.
- Executing project responsibilities to support sustainability of the broader business as per operational project requirements.
- Ensure compliance and adherence to policies, procedures, practices and legislative requirements at all levels identify gaps, propose improvements and implement approved changes throughout the project operations.
- Identify and escalate issues that may arise from conflicts between internal and external stakeholder requirements.
- Effectively utilise resources in line with project strategy to ensure effective project delivery.
- Implement financial, commercial and contracts management processes and procedures as set by the Project Manager.
- Implement contract programme for the site in conjunction with projects team, Planner and Site Engineer Planning give inputs to planning and programming for their site.
- Responsible for managing site costing as per standard policies and procedures for cost management.
- Ensure that all relevant labour, materials, plant and sub-contractors are procured in good time for the contract and within budget specifications.
- Monitor programme by marking up and taking corrective action where necessary.
- Revise long-term programmes due to changed conditions, Identify variations on rates and scope in conjunction with relevant stakeholders prepare variations and present to Project Manager for approval.
- Assist in compiling claims within the prescribed time frame. Initial all legal and contractual requirements including Completion Certificates.
- Liaise with QS and Contracts Manager in the drawing up of the sub-contract agreements.
- Requisition all material and equipment to correct specification and give delivery dates by means of written requisitions.
- Ensure the company’s policy on social responsibility is adhered to.
- Be fully aware of the content and impact of new contracts i.e. General Conditions of Contract, Special Conditions, Specifications, Drawings be aware of relevant legislation relating to the contract – as related to site operational execution and governance.
- Align internal and external stakeholders to contract conditions and requirements and the impact thereof, for their area of responsibility.
- Ensure all site risks and opportunities are identified and mitigating actions implemented and monitored as well as aligning all stakeholders as is relevant for their area of responsibility elevate risks as appropriate.
- Accept safety appointment and implement related safety structures liaising with Safety Manager regarding appointment of responsible persons and other safety matters.
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of temporary works designs and installations i.e. Camp Site, Compound, Batch Plants etc. with the necessary approvals.
- Manage costs and production within project allowable, cost and time targets providing inputs to QS on cash flow charts and systems monitoring compliance in their area.
- Align to client ESG requirements and ensure compliance throughout the project implementation.
- Undertake the implementation of company procedures and projects objectives on a specific site / section of the site for their area of responsibility.
- Responsible for project execution on a specific site / section of the site – within budget, scope, timelines, productivity and SHEQ standards.
- Implement and execute management controls, measures and reports for a specific site / section of the site taking corrective action to ensure effective and efficient delivery of site project objectives.
- Define, set up and implement appropriate management operating system including forecasts, plans, controls, measures, data management and trend analysis, reports and forums for the site / section of the site to ensure effective management decision-making and corrective action.
- Build a culture of continuous improvement for the duration of the project.
- Identify all SHEQ risks for the site and make recommendations for mitigating actions implement actions as approved to manage risks appropriately.
- Plays a key role in safety management on site in that they are responsible for the risk assessments and hazard identification for all operations on site.
- Guide, lead, and direct subordinate staff so that they are able to achieve the objectives set for them as well as understand and align with the strategic direction and goals of the parent company.
- Monitor and manage performance of subordinate staff in compliance with the Performance Management policy and processes.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff as appropriate to improve performance. Practice sound labour (IR) relations within the approved legislation and conditions of service with regard to staff.
- Attend relevant meetings with internal and external stakeholders ensuring accountability and SLA / specification / performance achievement.
- Sign for and check the following: Wages, New engagements, Pay-offs, Invoices and MRS sheets, Plant charges, Petty cash authorizations, Advances, Correspondence originated at site, Day work sheets.
- Control material stock levels by means of programme requirements, material schedules, bin levels etc.
Minimum experience & qualifications required
- Grade 12
- BSc Civil Engineering or National Higher Diploma Civil Engineering
- At least five years relevant experience in respect of managing construction projects as an appointed Site Agent
Behavioural skills required
- Complexity of Work level
- Mental Alertness
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning in problem solving
- Numerical ability/orientation in problem solving
- Original, creative & intuitive thinking in problem solving
- Spatial relations & concept formation in problem solving
- Alertness to detail & in perception
- Time management skills