Job title: Spiritual Care Worker x 3 (12 Months Contract)
Type: Permanent ☐ Fixed Term ☒ Temporary ☐
Main purpose of the job:
To provide spiritual care to patients and/or their family.
To Perform spiritual assessments and provide spiritual support to patients across
faiths and denominations to meet patient/family spiritual needs.
Location: Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital and Chris Hani
Baragwanath Academic Hospital
Closing date: 07 September 2021
Submit detailed CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Advert reference number: Spiritual Care: 02
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants
from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments
Key performance areas
• Assess and identify spiritual needs of patient and/or their families and caregivers
• Provide appropriate, sensitive spiritual counselling and appropriate individualized care
• Provide bereavement services to families and caregivers
• Maintain patient/family/caregiver confidentiality
• Contribute to periodic memorial services
• Provide monthly reports of activities
• Accept and perform other related duties and responsibilities as required
• Capture patient information on Redcap
• Consolidate weekly and monthly spiritual counselling statistics.
• Compile reports as needed by project.
• Attend organizational training as required
• Participate in family meetings as part of the MDT
• Facilitate support groups for patients and their families
• Work under the supervision of Social Worker
• Conduct individual spiritual assessments and counselling sessions for patients and family members
• Refer patients according to their preferences and available resource
Required minimum education and training
• Grade 12
• Trained in spiritual counselling and trauma counselling
Required minimum work experience
• At least two-year’s experience in spiritual counselling
• Must be in good standing with denomination or religious affiliations
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
• Experience in Palliative Care setting will be an advantage
• Good interpersonal skills
• Good communication skills
• Ability to accept different lifestyles, cultures, beliefs, and values
• Understanding of the principles of palliative care
• Multilingual (English and other local languages)
• Written and Verbal – effective communication within a multi-disciplinary team.
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please send an email to email@example.com.
The subject heading of the email must read Spiritual Care: 02 and the job title of position applying for. Please
include the following documentation:
• A cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for
• A detailed CV