CWS RSC Africa: Staff Security Officer
The Resettlement Support Center (CWS RSC Africa) operates a US refugee resettlement program in sub-Saharan Africa through a Cooperative Agreement with the Department of State/Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration. CWS RSC Africa is responsible for the preparation of refugee case files for adjudication by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officers, as well as the out-processing and cultural orientation of all approved cases. CWS RSC Africa is administered by the Church World Service Immigration Refugee Program (CWS/IRP) and is based in Nairobi, Kenya with a sub-office in Pretoria, South Africa.
Based in Pretoria, Gauteng – Church World Service seeks to appoint a
STAFF SECURITY OFFICER
This position is primarily responsible for supporting, implementing and ensuring the systematic application of safety and security policies for all CWS Africa operational activities and programs in South Africa. The Staff Security Officer will act as the safety and security focal point in the daily South African operations, and will be responsible for applying safety and security risk management policies and procedures. This position will report to the Regional Security Risk Manager in the Pretoria Office.
The Staff Security Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Acts as the safety and security focal point in the daily South African Operations.
- Provide input to RSRM to develop new, and update existing, safety and security risk management policies and procedures. Apply safety and security risk management policies and procedures
- Provide input to Regional Security Risk Manager on South Africa for weekly regional security updates Assist in conducting international staff residential surveys.
- Provide input to RSRM on South Africa for security assessments of ongoing regional activities. Maintain proper documentation and filing of security electronic and physical files
- Assist with all Security briefings to local staff and orientation/briefing for all new staff and visitors within the Pretoria office.
- Provide input to RSRM for development and review of plans and SOPs; to include up to date input on staff movement across South African Locations.
- Manage contracted security guard team, with regards to deployment, performance and briefings.
- Assist RSRM in conducting international staff residential security site assessments
- Perform evacuation and lockdown drills in South African operational areas using CWS security manual guidelines and after-action review
- Step in for the RSRM when required to represent CWS Africa in meetings with host country Government, Local and Regional Law enforcement agencies and UN agencies.
The Staff Security Officer must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a security, humanitarian, development or discipline related field, or an additional four (4) years of paid work experience in the same field in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree is required:
- Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA and other international NGO security frameworks.
- Sensitivity to gender and cultural issues.
- Excellent communications skills, with fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience in conducting Contextual security risk assessments required.
- Experience in compiling and drafting security reports including incident reporting is required.
- Experience in coordinating response to security emergencies required.
- Two (2) years working experience with similar INGO or humanitarian agency is preferred.
- Working knowledge of French or Arabic is also desirable.
- Writing skills test may be requested.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel. The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. A clear background check is required before the start of employment. View the full JD on Action Appointments’ website for all details. Must be legally eligible to work full time in South Africa.