The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state-owned organisation based in Pretoria, looking to fill the position of a Technical Advisor: Support to the Presidential Youth Employment Intervention (S2PYEI).
The project has started in April 2021, the S2PYEI team requires the expertise of a dynamic, independently working team player with excellent management and communication skills and who has a proven understanding of the youth employment sector and a strong record in management of Youth Employment Promotion Projects and Multi-Stakeholder approaches.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A University qualification in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Administration and Governance or similar areas.
- At least 5 to 8 years’ professional experience.
Knowledge & Experience:
- South African Youth Ecosystem, the structure and operations of initiatives dealing with Youth Development;
- Knowledge and experience in developing Youth Employment promotion projects;
- Knowledge and experience in innovative financing mechanisms in the employment promotion sector;
- Knowledge and experience in Public Financial Management;
- Design and implementation of capacity building measures for Public and Non-for-Profit organisations;
- Familiarity with and understanding of 21st century skills requirements and growth areas in the South African economy;
- Knowledge and experience in setting up regional, Africa wide networks will be an advantage;
- Ability to engage in multiple stakeholder processes, especially those involving private-and public sector collaborations;
- Strong project management skills, able to break up complex deliverables into manageable plans with realistic tasks; knowledge and experience with agile methods;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently in a structured, methodical manner;
- Excellent writing and communication skills, fluency in English.
Additional Requirements & Information:
- Familiarity with gender-sensitive project approaches;
- Self-driven, quick to learn, flexible and highly motivated;
- Flexibility and mobility: if required readiness to travel (national / international) and to have flexible working hours; driving license;
- Relevant computer skills (Microsoft Office including MS Teams, Outlook; Sharepoint; etc.); experience with databases and platform based software services are an advantage;
- Experience within the context of international development co-operation would be an advantage.
- This position is based in Pretoria and is a long term fixed contract.
- A motivation letter “Why GIZ …. and why do you think you will fit into this organisation? Please note that applications without a focused and customised Cover Letter will be excluded
- Kindly provide us with a detailed CV with your accomplishments at each company.
How you can make a difference:
The fact that the unemployment rate among young South Africans is above 50% is a national crisis that demands urgent, innovative and coordinated solutions. A multi-sector action plan is a direct response to the challenge that too many young people are not transitioning from learning to earning. Those young people who do manage to access opportunities tend to zigzag on often broken pathways, falling in and out of education and short-term work so that they are unable to realise their potential and get a foothold in the economy. President Ramaphosa has made addressing this crisis one of his foremost priorities. Young people hold the key to transforming our economy, boosting growth and fostering creativity and innovation.
The Presidency, supported by a Programme Management Office (PMO), is therefore implementing an integrated plan to create no fewer than two million new jobs for young people over the next decade, over and above average job growth.
To pursue this objective and to unlock the energy and potential of young people, the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI) will implement five priority interventions over five years to catalyse long-term change:
- Building a national Pathway Management Network to make it easier for young people to navigate pathways into the economy to increase their employability and to access learning and work opportunities.
- Implementing agile, demand-led workforce development programmes that allow 500,000 young people to develop the capabilities required to take up new opportunities in growth sectors, and supporting those sectors to expand.
- Establishing a R1 billion fund to stimulate the township economy, creating dynamic markets in high-opportunity areas such as food, waste, health, and education.
- Providing opportunities for workplace experience through the Youth Employment Service, and ensuring that every student can access work-integrated learning to complete their qualifications.
- Creating a new National Youth Service to provide 250,000 young people with publicly-funded opportunities to engage in service, allowing them to contribute to their communities and to build an ethos of citizenship and democratic values.
The programme Support to the Presidential Youth Employment Intervention (S2PYEI) supports the Programme-Management-Office (PMO) at the Presidency in the in design, coordination, and stakeholder management during the implementation of the PYEI.
The programme works in two areas of support:
- Strengthening PMO capacities to run PYEI; and
- Support to PYEI implementation.
Support area (1) aims at supporting collaborative partnership models (facilitation of stakeholder engagement), coordinating international partners (e.g. development partners consultation fora), doing rapid evaluations of selected PYEI initiatives and supporting the communication and PR to reinforce PYEI and its collaborative implementation model.
Support area (2) aims at technical advice to and capacity development of stakeholders (esp. potential PYEI implementers) on demand-led training, workplace experiences and self-employment, facilitating the engagement of the private sector, support the development of projects esp. to be eligible for PYEI funding and the identification of structural barriers and the development of recommendations for action.
On the German side the S2PYEI is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The project is part of the newly established Vocational Education, Skills Development and Employment Cluster.