Why our Client:
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South African Government in reaching its goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. The Climate Support Programme, funded under the International Climate Initiative (IKI), a financing vehicle by the German Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) is supporting the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, (DFFE) in developing and implementing climate change policy.
The GIZ South Africa, Lesotho and eSwatini Country Office in Pretoria is looking to fill the position of a Technical Advisor: Climate Change Mitigation & Climate Change Response Support Programme.
The focus of the position will lie within the areas of Mitigation of greenhouse gases, Climate Change Response Support Programmes as well as Monitoring & Evaluation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- University degree (post-graduate would be advantageous) in an area that is related to the programme objectives – e.g. Climate Change, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Energy (Efficiency), Finance/Economics, Business Administration and/or Engineering job profile.
- More than 8 years of relevant work experience in climate change project management related work; advisory or consulting services
- Specialist knowledge regarding GHG emission modelling and transition pathways, Instruments for Environmental Policy, e.g. market-based instruments such as carbon tax, carbon budgets, emission trading systems etc.; Green House Gas Inventories.
- In-depth knowledge on Energy policy and its implementation in South Africa as well as links to Just Transition agenda.
- Sound knowledge of South African public and private sector landscape in relation to climate change and energy.
- Experience in preparing and conducting stakeholder engagement sessions of diverse nature.
- Experience in working with local, provincial or national government in South Africa as well as proven network in South Africa in the area of climate change.
- Good understanding and work experience in international climate policy and UNFCCC processes.
- Demonstrated experience of working in a team environment.
Additional Requirements & Information:
- This position is based in Pretoria and is a long term fixed contract.
- A motivation letter “Why GIZ …. and why do you think you will fit into this organisation?
- Kindly provide us with a detailed CV with your accomplishments at each company.