PROJECT DIRECTOR: YOUNG AFRICAN LEADERS INITIATIVE (YALI)
REGIONAL LEADERSHIP CENTRE: SOUTHERN AFRICA (P4)
FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
12 MONTHS FIXED-TERM CONTRACT
The SBL seeks to appoint a suitably qualified and experienced candidate as the PROJECT
DIRECTOR: YALI REGIONAL LEADERSHIP CENTER SOUTHERN AFRICA (P4).
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a United States Government effort to invest in
the next generation of African leaders. The establishment of four YALI Regional Leadership
Centers (RLCs) across Africa is a critical component of the initiative. There are four Regional
Leadership Centres (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal and Southern Africa). These Centers serve as
regional hubs across the continent to encourage transformational learning and enhance
leadership skills with an emphasis on three key areas: Business and Entrepreneurship
Development; Civic Leadership; and Public Management and Governance.
Implemented in close collaboration with the MasterCard Foundation, the YALI Regional
Leadership Centers are a project of the United States Agency for International Development
(USAID). Each Regional Leadership Center is managed under a public/private partnership
between USAID, local and international private sector partners.
Based at the University of South Africa (UNISA) Graduate School of Business Leadership
(SBL) in Midrand, the incumbent will provide strategic leadership and oversight for
management of the YALI RLC SA, and related operations across the 14 country SADC
region. S/he will provide technical and managerial leadership to ensure that project
implementation complies with USAID and UNISA policy and regulations, and successfully
advances YALI goals.
The incumbent further manages the daily operations and reports on project implementation.
The RLC SA Project Director represents the YALI RLC SA at technical and networking
forums with donors, the private sector and other national, regional and community-level
stakeholders. S/he is in charge of engaging resource partners to sustain the Centre and its
The position reports to the Executive Dean & CEO of the UNISA Graduate School of
Business Leadership (SBL), and with oversight by the RLC SA Management Committee.
Even though the Covid-19 pandemic has fundamentally changed how we work, and how we
support our students and communities, the SBL is reinventing itself to be at the forefront of
shaping new business agendas by seeking value-adding ways in four research focus areas:
(1) Responsible Leadership in Practice; (2) Sustainable Livelihoods; (3) Intra-Africa Trade
and Investment; and (4) Digital Transformation and Investment.
• A Master`s Degree preferably in Project Management/ Administration/ Youth
• Ten (10) years’ experience in managerial capacity of which five (5) years must
have been in project management;
• Significant experience managing practical, experiential training programs;
• Demonstrated experience managing mid-to long term donor funded projects;
• Action and results oriented, flexibility to balance priorities and meet tight
deadlines and ability to work under pressure;
• Demonstrated experience engaging with senior representatives from public,
private and non-profit sectors;
• Strong organisational skills with a particular focus on managing details;
• Excellent problem solving, interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills;
• Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and effectively;
• Outstanding listening and communication skills (both written and oral);
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and
partnerships with key stakeholders;
• Ability to explain vision, values and standards of a leadership organisation and
set the appropriate examples;
• Knowledge of leadership development
• Demonstrated ability to work in a small or large team setting
• Excellent computer skills (Must be proficient in MS Office applications)
• Political and cultural sensitivity
• Sound judgement and ability to maintain confidentiality
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
• Provide strategic vision and direction for the YALI RLC SA growth and
• Develop and implement long term goals and objectives to achieve the successful
outcome of the YALI RLC SA program;
• Lead and direct the development and implementation of RLC SA governance
• Engage partners and stakeholders as appropriate in setting the vision for the
RLC SA, including the curriculum, the in-person training experience, the online
training experience, supplementary activities, and alumni engagement;
• Ensure RLC SA staff development for a team and high-performance delivery;
• Develop a strong team around YALI RLC SA; and
• Consult with experts and professional networks working to keep abreast of
current leadership development strategies and successful innovations in youth leadership development;
Operations and reporting
• Guide and oversee the implementation of objectives of the Centre by adhering to
the policies and procedures defined by the UNISA, USAID and RLC SA
• Oversee RLC SA training programs, project monitoring, learning and evaluation,
including for sub-award partners;
• Manage the preparation, implementation and monitoring of project annual
• Provide all required information to the RLC SA Governing Structures;
• Manage the preparation of quarterly and annual reports to USAID and other
funding partners as required;
• Develop project procurement plans;
• Manage and coordinate all RLC SA internal and external communications;
• Manage project schedules and resources ensuring the quality, timeliness and
accuracy of deliverables;
• Oversee RLC SA relationships with partner institutions, including sub-award
partners and private sector partners.
Partnerships and Stakeholder Relationships
• Develop and implement fundraising strategies and promote RLC SA partnership
• Identify, develop and maintain relationships with resource partners;
• Maintain close working relationship with USAID and other key stakeholders;
• Develop strategic partnerships (locally, regionally, and internationally) that
support the RLC SA’s growth and sustainability.
• Liaise with facilitation and support staff on the implementation of YALI’s strategic
and operational plans;
• Build relationships with world-class learning institutions, universities, and external
thought leaders and vendors to provide unique, customised blended learning
• Consult stakeholders, businesses and geographical areas to identify, create, and
implement blended executive development solutions;
• Provide feedback to the relevant role players as required.
Manage YALI Resources
• Manage Staff
• Manage Centre Budget
A work-related assessment or psychometric assessment may be conducted
Closing Date : 04 December 2020
Assumption of Duty : As soon as possible
Enquiries : SBLHR@UNISA.AC.ZA
HOW TO APPLY:
The completed prescribed application form must be accompanied by comprehensive
curriculum vitae and certified copies (within the previous three months) of:
• all educational qualifications;
• identity document; and
• proof of South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) verification of foreign qualifications.
The detailed advertisement together with the prescribed application form can be
found on the Unisa website (www.unisa.ac.za).
Applications must be submitted via an email which clearly indicates the Reference
number of the Project Director position in the Subject as follows:
• Ref: YALI/DIR/10/2020
• Applications should be emailed to SBLHR@UNISA.AC.ZA
• UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent
from the applicant.
• The contact details of three contactable references must be provided, one of which
must be from your present employer.
• UNISA is not obliged to fill an advertised position.
• Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
• Appointments will be made in accordance with SBL’s Employment Equity Plan and
other applicable legislation.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not
been contacted within two months of the closing date of this advertisement,
please accept that your application was not successful.